Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Rod and Staff or Ace English

Rod and Staff or Ace English

Which does a better job overall of teaching grammar? We started out with Rod and Staff, but after a few years tired of it and switched to Ace. The kids like Ace, but I happened upon Rod and Staff English books for grades 3-8 very cheap. I am tempted to bag Ace after they finish their current set because it would save LOTS of money in the long run. Do I give the kids the option? I feel like I give too many options. Maybe I need to firm up a Bit. What would you all do?

re: Rod and Staff or Ace English

We used Rod and Staff for quite a few years. While I did like the books up until about grade 5, I have since sold them all and never looked back. Quite frankly, it's just way too much, especially in the higher levels. It does a good job of explaining things, and you can't beat the price. But the level of grammar is just over the top, IMO.

If you want something for just grammar, I wouldn't do R&S's English (or ACE, or BJUP, or ABeka....). I'd do Easy Grammar.

Between those two choices, I'd choose ACE, because the R&S is quite simply overkill. (And I say this as someone who loves English enough to get a bachelor's degree in it; I'm working on a master's!) :) But that publisher takes it a bit too far. :) JMO!

(Personally, I prefer Abeka over both of those. But ACE will do a fine job, as well; an excellent job!)

I used R&S English with my kids for quite a number of years and loved that it was non-consumable and solid. However, after level 5, it gets pretty intense. My oldest used it through level 8. I agree with the others comments that it's over the top, and overkill at those upper levels.

My main issue with it was that my kids didn't really seem to retain much at all from R&S. We're using ACE English now with my younger four, and it's been working really well. Concepts are sticking better, *and* I'm finally seeing it carry over to their writing. With ACE I know they're getting solid teaching, but plenty of practice with each concept so they really learn it *and* remember it! ;)

Thanks everyone! We are sticking with Ace.

Stick with what's working! Ace's English, Word Building are some of its best componenets.

A bump to get ahead of spam

As side note...ace is a fine curriculum!
And I like the rod and staff at younger ages but older levels are too much for us.

This post was edited on Mar 08, 2018 09:40 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions