Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Friendly Biology and Chemistry

Friendly Biology and Chemistry

For those of you that have used these, can I get your thoughts? I know they have been discussed somewhat before. Are either very math intensive? About how long do they take each day? Are they interesting or boring?

re: Friendly Biology and Chemistry

I have never heard of any math intense biology course for high school level. (not beyond that either, but ) That is one of the main reasons biology is often done in grade 9 so that math is not an issue.

Friendly Biology was not totally on the market when I needed it.

Friendly Chemistry: there is some math involved. such as counting (I'm not trying to be rude or funny, just saying you'll need to be able to count to learn about electron valance and all of that), and Unit Conversions. A little bit of "algebra" is needed in that you will balance some equations but the problems are such that you can do this with trial and error, they design it so that you're working with 1, 2, 3, and 6 groups of things (I know, it's the number of molecule thingys, but you know).

The other questions: interesting or boring. I was not bored with it. My dd began to struggle around lesson 24. hard is not bad. But it just meant a break and also to let my dh help me those lessons. get the solutions manual. (she wanted time to spend with dad anyway. :)

How long does it take each day? I don' t know. I wasn't clocking it. the long problem sets were about 10 problems. maybe 15 minutes to read the chapter out loud? designed to be doable in standard traditional class time? I was using it in a "denver" meets "block" method. (meaning it was the only class we did each day for a shorter schedule. ) I do things my own way with youngest.

hopefully derf has better feel of the time each day. :)

I haven't done chemistry....yet... but plan to when we get done with biology sometime next year. We started with Apologia biology last fall after finishing the last 4 modules of Physical Science from Apologia....so we are really running late. AND I do not cover a whole chapter a week, as I am breaking each chapter down into pieces that are more palatable for my student. This of course will lead to it being a longer time to do the whole thing plus modify how long a day's work will take.

I have him read it, then I read it to him and TEACH it using notes that I later require him to write in his notebook. So you can see my perspective of time will be entirely different unless you break it down like we are. It is working much better this way for us so hopefully this timing of about 2 weeks per chapter makes sense as this point as to the length and depth of the material we are in presently.( we took much longer on chapter 6 as those experiments were long and it made no sense to me to go on without doing the whole experiment procedures) I am not sure how we will do the parts that are on all the phylums... as they are to be open book test....but more than likely I will still break it inot chunks as that is how it seems to get into his brain better.

Marne

I have him read it, then I read it to him and TEACH it

that was similar to us with chem. I'm teaching FC instead of it being self study.

It's not that it's because it hard. It's because the student needs the help with all her classes. except cake decorating that she learned on her own.

last week, she began making a cream cheese frosting for some cookies, and in spite of her severe impairments with language ability, she was saying "ah, ha! I am doing chemistry". as she measured carefully and timed how long she was mixing. loved it!

that is just unrelated to friendly chemistry but I had to brag on her for something.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions