Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Kindergarten Social Studies

Kindergarten Social Studies

I am looking for an open and go type social studies curriculum for a kindergartener. I know that I don’t need to buy a curriculum at this young age, but I really don’t have the time or the creative mind the come up with my own curriculum. And if I don’t have something to look at and use, I’m afraid I will let this topic slide by, and I think it important to teach my child about the world she lives in. Can anyone recommend an open and go Kindergarten Social Studies curriculum?

re: Kindergarten Social Studies

Do you by any chance have a membership to SchoolHouseTeachers.com
if so, there's some ready to go, open and do plans on there.
They do have a one month trial for $5 (cancel if you don't like) and options for buy for year. and some sale this week with valentines or something. (you can usually download what you need for later which is nice if you just wanted one course. but then with subscription you have lots of things you can use with many ages too.)

and by the way, there's no nothing wrong with having pre made lesson plans at any age to help guide you with what you want to teach. ((hugs))

This post was edited on Feb 12, 2018 04:20 PM

It's been a long time since I've taught Kindergarten. Take a look at what Timberdoodle offers in their K kit. You can order individual items. The geo puzzles look fun

https://timberdoodle.com/collections/curriculum-kits/products/complete-homeschool-curriculum-kindergarten

just for fun (for me anyway) I took a look at what public schools in my state have for their standards in Kindy social studies.
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/education/standards/ss/std_ss_gr_k.pdf

had to smile on the last standard strands with identify and summarize information given through read -alouds or through other
media about famous people of Tennessee .... and the final name on the list was Elvis.

giggle.

anyway, maybe if you see what your state does, you could do internet search for lesson plans for that kind of thing. maybe a once a week thing, or reminder to self to do some of it? Have child tell you how to get to the grocery store from your house and name streets. learn about 911 and safety. oh oh oh ohoh.

Weather Safety: the national weather service has educator stuff on their website
http://www.weather.gov/owlie/

fire, tornado, etc. safety is part of social studies.

well, ok, those are bits and pieces to pull together and only sorta open and go because it's not a full curriculum. sorry.

ps again: I meant to include the idea of "what about an older textbook" (not homeschool company if that's ok).
https://www.amazon.com/World-See-Book-Teacher-Kindergarten/dp/0395540216
open, read, talk about stuff in your day??? look up online for free worksheet on similar topic?

This post was edited on Feb 12, 2018 06:33 PM

ugh, what is wrong with me forgetting links?
I meant to link you to this site with lesson plans. not sure these days if it's just join for free (giving email) or some subscription. but take a look
https://www.education.com/lesson-plans/kindergarten/social-studies/

I would just read picture books like Five in A Row. I wouldn't add to it or make lessons of it, just read books. It doesn't have to be a subject. (Take the load off yourself and relax!)

When I had a child that age who was raring to go when it came to learning about anything and everything, I got a really nice globe (there are some which are really colorful and basic, for kids, even bounce like balls) and showed him where we are on the earth. That's where I started.

That included discussions of the Lord putting us just where He wants us, in our family, etc. Then we talked about our town, the county we live in, our state, then the USA. Children have typically already absorbed a lot at that age by osmosis, and it was fun for him to begin to get the big picture.

After that (this was not all in one day! lol) I began showing him the continents, one at a time, beginning with North America, then South America later, then Europe, then Asia, then Africa, then Australia, then Antarctica. I incorporated their names in a song using the tune to This Old Man, and he nailed their names and locations in nothing flat -- just a week or two.

Then I found a wonderful Animal Atlas (the title) published by Dorling Kindersley. It was a great big book with very nice, accurate pictures of the continents, one big two-page spread for each one, with facts about its climate, its animals (great big pics with info about where/how they live), and a little bit about the plants they eat, where they grow, etc.

He learned so much that year, it was honestly almost unbelievable. But when they genuinely want to learn, are fascinated by these things, their brains are like little sponges; they absorb virtually everything.

We also took some little field trips, some on our own, others with a local h/s group, to see animals at various places (zoo, nature trails, etc) and plants (at a planetarium where he got to make a terrarium in a gallon-size pickle jar and bring it home).

He also had fun planting certain plants by the season, watching them grow, sometimes even getting to eat them.

I guess it was a mix of science and social studies, which to me was ideal.

ITA with MayberryMommy's post. Children can learn a LOT by doing that. If your child's the only one you're teaching, you might have time to do more. If not, that will be plenty. (My younger ones tagged along and had a great time, learning along with him.)

I checked out a TON of library books that year. Some were about life cycles of animals, some were about things like the sun, moon, stars, etc. It was a great adventure for both of us; I got a huge kick out of seeing all of that through his eyes. I hope it's that enjoyable for you and yours too. :)

carry over conversation from the other post because it might make a difference.

did you rule out using good and beautiful for stuff? doesn't that already include social studies/geography, etc??? (maybe at that level it doesn't?)

but make sure you don't duplicate if you're using something similar to TGTB. :)

also, in order to get good ideas of what to use and not to use, I'd give the friendly advice that you will benefit from knowing what you would like them to learn in this area. Then you can find stuff. I had one child who learned by osmosis with five in a row and it was great! My other two? no. They needed to learn more traditional kinds of topics at that age and be taught in ways that they could learn it.

but you'll benefit yourself if you know what kinds of things you mean with social studies. For two of my children it meant "age appropriate life skills". For one it meant "geography and visits to the fire station".

good luck with whatever you decide.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions