Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Apología biology for students with learnig disabilities?

Apología biology for students with learnig disabilities?

Hi! I have a son with learnig disabilities, and I would ask if I can use apología biology with him. I wish to know if he need álgebra to tske this course. I'ts hard for me to find currículum for him specially for science and math. I would like to hear recomendation for this two subjects please. God bless youu!!🤔

re: Apología biology for students with learnig disabilities?

glad to see you able to post lizamoe. I know we were concerned after the storms. Or I think you're the same person. If not, welcome along.

Depends a bit on the learning struggle and how much supports you can give.

With my middle daughter (slow processing, auditory processing disability) to successfully use apologia biology she needed the mp3 audio of the text. She listened with the textbook open and followed along, pausing to study charts, graphs, tables etc. She appreciated having lab partner as well. And I modified the vocabulary parts of the test to be matching instead of write out definitions because her brain would freeze trying to get the definitions out of her brain onto paper. We did the study guides together out loud. Overall, she did really well with apologia with minor accommodations. Oh, and as is my custom for her, the first test is open book in each apologia course we do.

Youngest has a lot more learning disabilities and challenges. as a full course, she was not able to use apologia. Instead, we modified greatly. I did not require her to listen to the entire text. We looked for answers. She filled in the student journal together with me. Our goal was to be exposed to the material and learn how to find information in a text book. She watched the videos on virtualhomeschool group's website and did those questions as review of material. http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.org/
We did the labs together with microscope, and field work. I skipped real dissections with youngest in favor of worksheet and videos of those. It wasn't needed.
tests were not the ones apologia made. I made my own at her much lower level.
Lest I'm accused of being dishonest, the course is labeled as modified biology on her transcript because she has many challenges. We watched a lot of videos on topics. So for the course, apologia was not the main text, but was a big part of the course. It was a tool to use.

On the other extreme, lots of people here are not able to modify and accommodate apologia biology for their children.

This post was edited on Jan 13, 2018 07:29 AM

Another option is to look at FRIENDLY BIOLOGY...we are Apologia Biology former users...it was just way more than my student wanted or needed in detail and it was a lot of work to make it fit....then i heard about Friendly Biology...and yes it is complete and high school level but more like what i remember taking in high school ( a long time ago I might add but prepared me perfectly to be a Biology major) and it not so technical and detailed that my student is no longer hating Biology. His retention is much better also.

Marne

agreeing with "derf" and adding on.

I almost used Friendly Biology with my youngest. Reasons I didn't: it wasn't on market when I was shopping, and if it had been, well, I already had apologia from two other students and got the student journal at too bargain of a price from a mom sellnig a partially used one. I might have switched if it had been now instead of a year ago.

I do like Friendly Chemistry a lot and probably would have liked their biology. If you need Chemistry with less intense math and differences in learning abilities, check it out.

Thanks,for your reply and yes, cbollin I'm lizamoe (Liza) from Puerto Rico. We still don't have electricity, not phone and no internet in our homeschool. My husband is repair the house, because was demage with the huracán. .But we are ok . Thanks , for the tips and books recomended.. My son has Adhd , he is very very distracted, forget everything fast and have problems to memorize and study hard materias. I don 't what to do with him. God bless you!!! To all. 🤗

I don’t have any advice about your question, but just wanted to say I’m glad to see you back on here. During the storm, i remembered you were in a heavy hit location. So glad you are ok!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions