Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Substitute book for North and South

Substitute book for North and South

Anyone have a suggestion for a replacement for North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell? It's scheduled in Notgrass World History but I don't think it'll be a good fit for my 16yo boy. Any ideas of what I could replace it with? I think it was included because the setting is in England during the Industrial Revoluation and the whole workers vs. owners thing, if that helps.

re: Substitute book for North and South

Oliver Twist- has some depictions of the English industrial revolution

David Copperfield- my favorite Dickens and one of the less depressing but the industrial revolution doesn’t play into the story as much.

A website says Little Dorrit was also connected with the IR but I read the book and watched the TV series and I remember the theme of the ugliness of the urban lifestyle but not so much the actual factories themselves. I think she works in a sewing sweatshop for quite a while if I’m not confusing it with a different dickens novel (which I might be because the girl from David Copperfield runs off with a worthless young man and works in a sewing shop) also in David Copperfield he works in a glue factory for a while in the city ...

I mean North and South portrays it much much better than any other book! The love story does play a prominent role it really highlites the dangers, crowding, disease, Union workers issues, etc etc.

But I guess the next best bet would be Oliver Twist or David Copperfield

Hard Times by Charles Dickens would be a good choice for your high school age son.

Matthew Arnold's poem "Dover Beach" speaks to the time, as well -- and is short. :)

Check out William Blake's poetry, as well - Songs of Innocence and Experience.

And while literature is wonderful, (and clearly, I must think so, because I took a bachelor's degree in it), see this essay for a balanced perspective:
https://fee.org/articles/the-industrial-revolution-working-class-poverty-or-prosperity/

:)

Your son may enjoy the mini series of North & South. I watched it on Netflix and thought it was awesome! It’s done by BBC. Maybe he’d like that better than reading it.

Oliver Twist is a great suggestion too!

This post was edited on Jan 12, 2018 05:00 AM

Thanks! He's already read Oliver Twist. Since Hard Times was free for Kindle, I got that one and read it this weekend. I think it will do nicely.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions