Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MUS algebra 1

MUS algebra 1

I’ve never used MUS. I really don’t want all the manipulative aspect to algebra, but maybe it’s great?
I thought I had read recently something about this here. I tried a search from google but nothing.
So can we jump into MUS at this level? What do we need?

re: MUS algebra 1

I'm pretty sure you do not need the manipulatives at this level. We're jumping into it next year and that's what I read here when the search function still worked!

Erin is absolutely right - you can jump into MUS at the Algebra 1 level (one of my kids did this, my other MUS kiddo started with Epsilon) and you do not need the manipulatives.

I just wanted to echo the others by saying you do not need the manipulatives at this level. I think for kids who've come up through MUS, it's nice because they're used to using the manipulatives already to illustrate concepts, but just coming in at Algebra 1 your student likely wouldn't want/need them.

I'm using this level for my ds this year. He came in at this level, and is doing great. We had a lesson recently where they said to "build" the problem. The answer in the teachers manual showed a picture of what blocks to use, so I had my ds just draw how he would build the problem. It worked great and he much preferred drawing it, rather than getting out blocks. ;) This was the first time we came across something telling him to build it, and we're 3/4 of the way through the book.

We tried 2 other Algebra 1 programs before trying MUS with him. It's been an excellent fit, and a great program. Best wishes! ;)

Thanks, ladies! I’ve got this on my list for dd. Thanks for sharing the drawing idea momtofive!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions