Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Math woes, advice needed

Math woes, advice needed

Back story, we started out using Horizons when my son was in K. We used it for a couple years, but it was a real struggle. From there we went to Rod and Staff. It worked well, but by grade 3 my kids tired of it. We tried Study Time for a short time. While I love the approach it takes, my kids didn't. Back to Rod and Staff only to ensure frustration and tears. Last year we did Ace for a while. They actually did well with it and I can't remember why we quit. This year we are using Math Lessons for a Living Education. They are doing well and don't complain about math. My problem is, my oldest is 13 and not nearly where he needs to be. I take most of the responsibility for this as we have jumped around a lot. On the other hand, he is just not a math kid. I am worried about higher math and where to go from here. He is now learning long division and fractions and is doing quite well. I just don't know what to do about higher level math once we get there. I don't want to jump around anymore, we just can't. Math Lessons for a Living Education goes through grade 6. He is halfway through the grade 4 book. I am looking to continue these through, but begin easing him into another program that will take him through high school. From what I observe the mastery approach works best, but a gentle spiral approach might work. Any suggestions or advice are appreciated. Thanks!
P.S. I Should add, I am not a math person either so something that doesn't require lots of teaching on my part is a plus.

re: Math woes, advice needed

We use Teaching Textbooks with my 8th grade son. I love it. I wouldn’t say he loves it, but it’s his favorite math curriculum and he does well with it. He can use a calculator with lessons but not on tests. We will use it through high school taking Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2 - and I’m waiting to decide what we will use for his senior year (either continue with TT, or take a Liberal Arts Math). My son will attend the community college, and I feel TT will be fine for his academic goals.

Saxon is good for higher math, and has SaxonTeacher CD-roms that walk the student through EVERY problem if need be.

Abeka math with their videos is also good for higher math.

When I was a home schooled high schooler, I taught myself via Saxon. My own kids now use Abeka, because we're enrolled in their Academy. (I can't say enough about how wonderful their Academy is - if that might appeal to your son.)

I have 2 boys in high school. One is using MUS, and one is using TT. I would suggest one of these two for ease of teaching and general user friendliness. MUS is easier, but they are still getting a lot of information!

I might suggest MUS as well. It is a mastery program, but there is lots of review in each lesson, which my kids really need.

He is now learning long division and fractions and is doing quite well.

----

Long division, fractions, decimals, percents -- these are the basics that ultimately students need from their study of arithmetic before progressing in algebra. And you mention he's doing well in long division and fractions, so I think there's every reason to assume he'll do fine with decimals and percents. Therefore, math-y or not, he will do fine! I would not worry. It sounds like really, the "problem" is not his skills, but just the jumping around, so I do think you have reason to be very encouraged. :)

I too highly recommend MUS...We started with Abeka....not work for ME to teach, then tried Horizons...way too fast for my student and I learned he needed more of mastery program, used MCP for the rest of that year and then found MUS.....what a blessing... mastery, ease of understanding and plenty of review...WA LA we are still there using it for Algebra. It has taken us a bit more time than most BUT he does now get it and without getting the foundation there is no way he will get further. Marne

I could have written your post myself! I am in the same boat with my ds 16 and all the jumping around has been the killer for math over here. (insert an eye roll)
I am not mathy and neither is ds, but MUS is what's working for us at the moment. I have used Teaching Textbook and think it's an excellent program. I think either of these two would be a great place to begin looking. However, you know your son best!
You can have him take placement tests, but keep in mind that those just place him into "their" program. Saxon is a great program as well. I don't know your situation, but for us, we need a teacher and help via audio.A DVD teacher would be great. Sometimes, it's even scary for me to not have every problem explained with MUS, but ds has grasped MUS pretty well. I have called for help and they are very good about trying to answer any question that you may have.

Please, breathe and know that it's o.k.! I truly believe many students probably miss the boat on math (especially in public school) and still come out fine. One day at a time and don't feel bad about getting those basics down. That's what he needs.
HTH!

fun@home

This post was edited on Jan 09, 2018 01:37 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions