Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Can we talk reading?

Can we talk reading?

I have been horrible at consistently keeping my kids reading. They need structure. There are things they haven't learned pertaining to literature that they need to learn. Things that I don't think to teach them. I need the guidance too. With that said, what are your favorite Christian reading programs and why? Thanks!

re: Can we talk reading?

Abeka, hands down! :)

It's easy to be consistent, it's charming and interesting, and it's adjustable/adaptable.

We've used Abeka all the way through.

What exactly do you mean? That your children don't choose to read on their own? or that in addition to their free reading you don't have structured reader-with-activities?

If the latter, you might find Hewitt's Lightning Literature helpful.
https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Materials/mLightningLit.aspx

CLE Reading is a great independent option. The stories are great and my kids have thoroughly enjoyed them. The workbooks that go with them cover lots of literary terms and vocabulary. We are thoroughly enjoying them, and have done all the levels up to grade 8.

elliemaejane,
They do read on their own. I want them learning literary analysis, etc., though.

I want them learning literary analysis, etc., though.

---

blessedlife3,
They don't actually *need* all that aspect of literature if they're young, *unless* they're taking some kind of standardized test where they'd be expected to know it. Generally, students can pick that up easily in junior or senior high. And it is very easily learned; it's not complex at all.

You could really teach those concepts using any reading books you would like to use.

Christian Liberty Press has an inexpensive small booklet that covers the most important major literary concepts. (It's tied in to Abeka's 8th grade reader, but you could utilize any stories, poems, or books of your own choosing, as well.)

You can find all this information, regarding literary concepts, for free online, as well.

Hope that helps!

hopefully you'll find the booklet m4j mentioned. I'm struggling to scan the christian liberty site for it. :) I feel a major headache from trying. oh, it's lunch time, that's explains it.

so...
Would something like the thing HOD has, drawn into reading, for out for you? sounds like it is designed to be used casually over several years and several grades. Maybe it would help you ?
https://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into.php

you can use it with books you want. do some and not all and still feel like you didn't fail.

I never bothered with that in elementary years. We talked about in elementary when using writing strands 3 of all things. There were some lessons in WS where they write a story and have to include those things.

Then in jr. high, we used Progeny Press guides for formal "lit analysis" In high school we sorta kinda did some lit analysis with Writer's Inc. , progeny Press guide again, and then other stuff in high school.

I know it doesn't sound like we did much in that approach like that with a very laid back elementary years approach. But it worked enough that oldest passed analyzing literature clep test to get out of literature just from whatever we did in high school.

LOL cbollin! They probably could re-design their site.

http://www.shopchristianliberty.com/of-places-literature-fourth-edition-supplementary-lessons-booklet/

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions