Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Teaching kindergarten

Teaching kindergarten

I find myself in a new position. I have two more dc to teach this level to. I guess I’m trying to figure which of the many things I’ve tried over the years I would consider inspiring. I have One dc very motivated and the other interested but pretty laidback.

I’ve used so many kindergarten things I really don’t know that any particular one stands out. I liked and disliked things about each one I guess, but always enjoyed teaching my dc whether I tweaked a program or not. I prefer it to not be too intense, but I really need a program. I’ve been looking at parts of ?Memoria Press today because it’s one I’ve never used. Ha! It looks interesting actually, but I love looking at that kind of stuff.

If you had to teach kindergarten again...particularly phonics...What would it be?

re: Teaching kindergarten

By the time I got to my last one, I really only did explode the code books a, b, and c. We kinda sorta did a couple of Rod and Staff preschool books.

Fast forward to the present. He is now 6.5 years old. He still is no where near learning to read, so doing it over I would've not even done the ETC ABC books last year.

Mm, well I get that. I’ve tried a few workbooks with my 5 yo laidback dc and it has been less than I was hoping for. I guess in a way, he hasn’t been really ready? I’ve kept it pretty low key with him. I’m kinda leaning toward eps workbooks over at cod that have specific readers to control the phonics needed. They look like eTc in a way but have the reader aspect upon completing workbook. Hmmm

I like Progressive Phonics. It's free. It worked really well for my last kid and now I'm using it again with my rising K'er. There are activity sheets and such but I haven't used any of those yet. I usually do ETC starting sometime in K, too. So that's not new or exciting, but it's tried and true at my house.

We're using a combination of CLE Learn to Read, HOP, and BOB books.

I taught Abeka phonics to all of my children in K-2nd, and if I had children to teach it to again, I would absolutely use Abeka. I don't know any program I think of as highly or that works as well for mom and student, both. I seemed to always have someone in Abeka phonics at one point, sometimes more than one (in different grades); I never tired of it. :)

With children of any age, I'm always going to do Spalding.

I might try KONOS, vol. 1, with a little 5yo person. I used Vol. 2, when my dc were 9 and 12, and then again the next year, and then they were too old for KONOS and we were doing other lifestyle stuff. It would be fun to start at the beginning with Vol. 1.

I would be inclined to use R&S's Beginning Arithmetic, which is first-grade level, but which can be used more gently with a younger child. But there are some really good vintage arithmetics that I might try.

Great Question!

My 4th right now is working through Little Hands to Heaven for Preschool, and I’m doing Bible and reading aloud to her as well.

I’ve started to think a little of what is next. I did various things for K with the other 3 as well and have things I like and don’t like about each.

I’m planning on re-looking at MFWK and remember the phonics pros and cons.

I’ve never used A Beka for phonics and I’m seriously considering it.

I am planning on re-looking at R&S first grade phonics / readers and remember what I liked and didn’t like.

I won’t be using BJU first (I love their math, but not their phonics) or The Reading Lesson (I used both & liked neither).

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions