Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Having trouble with Reading... can you make any suggestions?

Having trouble with Reading... can you make any suggestions?

Life is really busy... I have a senior, 5th grader, 3rd grader, family business, and babysit my grandson.
Looking for ideas for reading for my 5th and 3rd grader. We've used BJU some and we like the stories, but keeping up with those big TMs are difficult for two students. So we end up not doing it and missing out on comprehension and vocabulary.

We're using Progeny Press guides now. We like the books and the workbook, but it's hard to do the same book because of different grade levels. Maybe I should just do two grade levels . More work for me, but would probably work. Or other guides you might suggest?

My kids love workbooks! Is there a reading program that uses living books or at least good quality stories with comprehension and vocabulary with a workbook?

Part of me has thought about just letting them read chapter books for fun and find a daily reading comprehension book , but is there a good one out there? And then I would need to add in vocabulary?.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

re: Having trouble with Reading... can you make any suggestions?

Well... this may not be the answer you were wanting, but what I would do is just drop reading as a formal subject, let them read books, and forget about comprehension and vocabulary. They will pick up vocabulary from reading. Maybe occasionally, you can ask them what the book is about and they can tell you... in my world that counts as comprehension. This is what I do for my kids all the way up to high school. If you can find time to read aloud to them, that is just as valuable.

Now, if I HAD to pick a reading program, I think I would go with Pathway. They have workbooks, I believe, and the stories are great, plus there's poetry. But not having used the workbooks, I'm not sure how much work it would be for you.

What has worked for us all these years has been Abeka.

Vocabulary is taken care of via the reading textbook selections as well as their spelling/vocabulary workbook. (We used Christian Liberty Press spelling/vocabulary grade 1 - 8, switching to Abeka for high school.)

Comprehension is a learned skill, which yes, they did learn via their reading selections, but also through their history and science textbooks.

"Part of me has thought about just letting them read chapter books for fun and find a daily reading comprehension book , but is there a good one out there? And then I would need to add in vocabulary?"

Check out Reading Detective. There are several grade levels available. We used it for a couple years and it helped dc focus on particular skills.

For fun, you could add in Book Adventure.
http://www.bookadventure.com/Home.aspx

This post was edited on Jan 07, 2018 11:26 AM

I use/like the Reading Detective. I think Abeka does a great job as well. Spectrum Workbooks are great as well for the lower grades, short story snippets with questions and vocab.
HTH!

fun@home

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions