Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Question for Monarch users

Question for Monarch users

I just signed up for the free 30 day trial (thank you to those that recommended it over SOS! I’m excited!). I am setting it up now so it will be ready to go when we start school back next week.

I realize when I set up the “school year” it will distribute the lessons within those days. My question is, how long are the lessons? My son will only be doing Language Arts 8 and History/Geography 8. We do not school on Mondays because we have co-op all day. Ideally, I follow a more traditional school schedule and we like to be through by the beginning of June. But if I schedule our lessons from Jan 9-June 8... will that overwhelm him cramming all of 8th grade into five months? Or are the lessons fairly short and it won’t add that much more time? I hope I’m making sense!

Please advise. And thank you so much!

re: Question for Monarch users

hoping calmingtea chimes in as I speculate her use will be more similar to your situation.
In my dd's situation, we tend to do monarch for 30-45 minutes at a time instead of X lessons per time. So, I haven't really made note of how long a lesson is or what the average number of lessons we do at a time has been. Our use was non standard so my perspective isn't standard.

I'm thinking with the 30 day use you'll get a feeling that it won't be that hard to get 2 lessons done a day in order to get through most if not all of just two subjects.

projects can be worked on without holding up the next lesson. and you get to call the shots if it gets near June and decide on it.

chime back in as the free trial goes and update us a bit :)

Thank you! We start tomorrow. I’m sure it will all make more sense once we’ve been at it for a little while. I’ll definitely post back with updates and questions. I’m really praying he likes it!! :-)

He finished both lessons in about 20 minutes. I’m not sure if it’s because they were just the first lessons or perhaps I set it up wrong?

If the lessons are short normally, that’s totally fine (assuming he’s learning)... but now I’m wondering if I did something wrong during set-up?

Can anyone tell me how long lessons normally are? In the beginning, do they tend to be shorter since the curriculum is just starting off?

Any advice or feedback would be awesome :-)

I did a little more timing this morning while we were working. I'm thinking you set it up correctly and some lessons are going to be shorter and easier -- depends on the student in some ways. There were some things my dd got through today in about that time. Plus, some of it can be material your student might know so it doesn't need a lot of study, but is review.

As teacher, if you can watch to make sure he's reading/listening to the material and not just clicking on "work on questions" and clicking until right. It's one thing to know the answer from previous study, but you don't want it to be like my daughter did on one section today with just skipping the reading and working on questions, clicking until she got a green check mark. blush. I made her take a break at that point because she was in get it done and I can play all day mindset.

oh, I should add that with one other student of mine, she'd would easily do about 2 lessons per day because she thought one lesson didn't take "enough" time in the school day (probably true). She finished the one monarch course she had in a little over a semester's time for the full year. It was still a one year high school credit. She just worked at her pace and did well in the course. It was some elective course.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions