Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Ace for dyslexic

Ace for dyslexic

I am wondering if anyone uses Ace for dyslexic student? My son wants to go to a Christian school next year that uses Ace for all subjects except math. Please share your experiences!

re: Ace for dyslexic

I do not use it personally, but we have an ACE school very close to us. We actually toured it and considered it at one point. Several friends of mine have children with special needs (including dyslexia), and all the families I know say their kids are thriving there. In your shoes, I’d tour the school and ask how they will accommodate your son’s specific needs. I know he will have to take a placement test, so I’m sure they’ll accommodate him.

Agreeing that you need to tour the brick and mortar school and see how they will work with any special learners. What materials they use (ACE worktexts) is less of the issue than what the teachers will do to help, or accommodate.

The actual curriculum could work well. My daughter has dyslexia and thrived with ACE, which we used for Spelling for two years.. the format of knowing what to expect, consistent checks for mastery, clear guidelines is actually fantastic for a dyslexic, assuming she can read well.

Problems I could see are:

1. ACE schools work by assuming children are well behaved and can work mostly indpendently. How will the teacher/guide help your student ? Will they take extra time out, and is there already a program in place, to help a special needs student? Don't rely on promises, if there isn't a written, specific program in place, then I would NOT put your daughter in this school. Special Needs students in this scenario would need in writing, that teachers are checking in more often, weekly meeting with a special ed coordinator and reading/spelling tutor if needed, etc.

2. I hope I am not stereotyping but Dyslexics tend to be VERY right brained, and very creative. Art, music, engineering concepts, building are their forte....my own daughter would do well with the ACE curriculum but I think she would shrivel up and die emotionally in an ACE school. She expresses so much of herself through individuality and creativity. She always has a new idea for all of her projects, and so far even her co-op teachers have mostly been not only willing but excited that she comes in with something a little bit different than the assignment. (an example was when she was supposed to write some Tolkein Runes and she brought a whole bag of heavy rocks with the runes painted and etched on :) )

So that would actually be my biggest concern. Is your daughter a type A, quiet, sequential learner that thrives with structure and enjoys getting a job done for the sake of getting it done? THat is the ideal ACE school student.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions