Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

HELP PLEASE! American History

HELP PLEASE! American History

I have my 7th grade son doing the 8th grade Ace Social Studies this year. I chose it because he needs to learn American history past the pilgrims. He is having a heck of a time with it though. The reading is difficult for him and it takes him forever to find and write down the answers. I wonder how much he will actually retain. We are only on the second pace. I am doing Master Books America's Story with my younger two. I wonder if this would be enough for my oldest as well. The thing is, I really want him to be done with American history by the end of this calendar year of possible and I would like him to work on something to gain more independen ce. I wonder if switching to something like Notgrass would be better for him. I like that it has map work and a timeline. He hasn't had much of either. We are not big on textbook history, but we need to get cracking on American. I am not sure what to do.

re: HELP PLEASE! American History

If you had to get out a sheet of paper and write down everything you know about American history, what would that look like? What about a test....how would you score?

I ask that because I think history is one of those things that is great to understand the general flow. Remembering the nitty gritty details for quick recall forever is a tall order.

Last year I had my now 12 ,year old listen to the whole History of Us by Joy Hakim on audible. We have the set of books, too.

My phone battery is dying so another quick post....

Would he sit for movies or documentaries?

Mine have learned a ton that way with very little effort in my part.

Easy Peasy might be a nice alternative. You could just browse through the lessons and start him where he is now. I did this with my son & he started on Lesson 80 with no transition issues.

Another option is Heritage Histories. It’s an archive of free history books that are perfect for your son’s age.

http://www.heritage-history.com/?c=products&s=libraries

probably not a popular answer that I"ll give.
I would separate the goals of "learning how to learn through independent reading" from the goal of "learning more US history while in jr. high".

Remember, you'll get more history and gov't in high school. Don't feel over panicked about being in grade 7 and not knowing all fo this yet.

Do you have a subscription to schoolhouseteachers by any chance? I think they still have the Drive Through history video series on there. take a look if you have that.

We enjoyed Children's Encyclopedia of American History as a visual book to read. keep it on coffee table (or kitchen table) to enjoy. easy and fun way to supplement if you're nervous using younger materials with him.

to the issue of struggling with using ACE to find answers, that might be a whole other thing to work with and discuss. He may have some visual issues and their format and layout of pages is a real struggle. (been there!!!!)
Or he may need "scaffolding" and have you sit with him longer and learn how to do it (or have been using the ace grade 5 to learn how to learn and learn american past pilgrims. but don't go buy it now). Like I said, I'd separate these goals of "independent work station" from "wanting to learn a bit more US history" before high school. but that's just me.

eta: yes, you can still do history together as a family.

This post was edited on Jan 06, 2018 07:39 AM

At that stage we really enjoyed Sonlight mixed with AMerica The Beautiful from Notgrass..... BUT since you seem to want to just "get it done" take a look at America the Beautiful....My son still likes to refer back to those books. Marne

I have my 7th grade son doing the 8th grade Ace Social Studies this year.

In your other thread on this topic, you mention he is a struggling reader. I'd like to point out that with a struggling reader, it's definitely ok to use "lower grade level" with something like ACE especially for general content in history.

I want to gently let you know something else. ACE curriculum has this correspondence school it is affiliated with (I'm not looking for the lecture on curriculum isn't school). In that school LCA, there is at least one diploma option where a high school student who uses the grade 8 us history will still get the high school credit for graduation.

and since he is a struggling reader, I think you'd achieve a better feeling of get er done if you taught the material using something you like well enough to go with all the kids.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions