Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Do you go to conventions?

re: Do you go to conventions?

oh- and I will say..seeing stuff in person would have saved me a LOT of money over the years on return shipping :) So you could have factored about 50.00 off the cost of attendance for me...

ah, when I went I went as "day trips". Hotel stays were rare on it. I can think of 3 times it was stay overnight, but I was in temporary service of a sales vendor each time and needed to be there early and late. As an attendee, I didn't do it as a girls weekend thang. I don't do those :)

I went alone instead of that weird feeling of needing to attend with someone else. husband stayed home with the kids.

I was glad though that conventions near me were not about a specific type of religion (patriarchy) as I'm not in that religion. I certainly didn't feel like I had to do the stuff the speakers said.

so if one is easily swayed into group think, one might want to avoid some of these things.

It's a tiring event. Many people are not nice to the vendors or other customers and it's exhausting. :)

To me it was not a shopping event, but time to learn some things out there in my profession. Even these days when I attend "special ed" and "autism" conferences, I go and learn what I can, ignore what it's relevant, glance at a few booths. I definitely out of place at those things as I'm parent/homeschooler.

I think it depends on which one you go to and what your goals are. We have found one that is very God centered and focuses on home discipleship. It is the best thing we do as a family every year and has done more to help pass on our vision to our children than anything else besides family devotions. It has also increased our friendship circle, which becomes very important when your children get to the marrying age. Our whole family looks forward to it every year. It is so worth the 4 hour drive! I do like to hold curriculum in my hands (but I have plenty after all these years). We don't really go to the "how to" speakers anymore, but the Biblical soeakers have been a great encouragement to my husband, children, and myself. We also go to see others with the same worldview---again SO important as your children age! There is a closer one that I would attend with a friend, but I cannot even go this year. The floor was almost nill last year and the speakers are more "how to". It all depends on the conference.

This post was edited on Jan 11, 2018 02:03 PM

I don't go every year, but I'm always uplifted when I do go. I'm lucky to have our state convention a mere 5 minutes from my house. It also falls near my birthday, so I ask my dh for tickets for my birthday.

Now that I only hs one child entering high school, I rarely go to any "how to" type sessions and prefer the more personal growth sessions.

Being able to hold curricula in my hands is nice as well, but I've seen just about everything out there at this point. I do love to shop!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions