Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Anyone planning changes for second semester?

re: Anyone planning changes for second semester?

Just now back to this....
Yes, kayrenee, they are keeping me up at night. Lots I could discuss here, but I will just say that I appreciate the prayers and I will pray for your family as well!

As soon as my family gets well (we're sick over here!), I hope to continue our new changes! Hope everyone that's back at it, is having a great year!

fun@home

I'm thinking about adding some things for history. We used to do MFW, but I was paying all that $ just for the history and didn't use their Bible,English,Science or Math suggestions. Now we are using Veritas Press self paced, and although my ds loves this program, I miss all the extra book choices, the student sheets and the little projects. (I have nothing to keep to remember what he did).

I’m seriously considering switching to MUS for my 8th and 10th graders. I’ve always avoided it, afraid of it not being enough. I’ve been doing a lot of searching and thinking and continued prayer. I just keep coming back to trying MUS. So leaving Saxon 1/2 and Abeka Algebra 2. Hard to put my finger on what’s bugging me about Saxon, but Abeka alg is not sinking in and I think we just need to back up. (Not knocking those curricula...just not working for us)

After seeing my older ds having to make up for gaps in math to get his act math score up, I just don’t want to continue on the Abeka path with my 10th grader. We are just ok math people...Granted I believe in act prep but I kept thinking he must’ve been just going through the motion and not retaining when he took those courses.

I'm finally getting around to replying to this thread, because I finally have an idea of the changes we need to make. I knew we needed to make some changes a while ago, but with a big move and then the holidays, things just haven't been normal lately! Now that we are getting back into a routine, I asked dh for help to figure out what to change. My 9th and 10th graders were just bogged down with their schoolwork, and I didn't know what to do. Dh helped me come up with a plan for them, and we're implementing the changes tomorrow.

Here's what changes:
Saxon Advanced Math- we were already following Art Reed's advice to do half a lesson per day. That ends up being 15 problems. Those 15 problems can take a LONG time, depending on how difficult they are! So, we decided to cut back to 10 problems per day, and let each lesson take 3 days. There's really no rush on finishing this in a set amount of time.

Abeka Biology- I was having them write the answers to the section review questions. Now, they will each read the section and then ask each other the questions and have a discussion.

Other subjects were already mainly reading (history, literature, apologetics) so I told them to set a timer for those to make sure they aren't spending too much time on any one subject. After they finish everything for the day, they are welcome to go back to something and keep reading if it is interesting to them!

Another change we are going to make is for us to get out of bed earlier. With the holidays we got pretty lazy.

I'm also still (perpetually) contemplating LA in the elementary years. We ditched R&S before the move, and put the 4th and 5th graders back in CLE just to make things easier on me during the move. I only bought 2 Light Units per child so I'm having to decide whether to get the rest or not. CM methods are appealing; just need to decide what to do.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions