Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Anyone planning changes for second semester?

Anyone planning changes for second semester?

Also trying to combat spam...

Anyone making changes in their homeschool for after the holidays?

My 6th grade son is going to switch gears in science. He is a bird lover so I'm going to start him on What's That Bird from Memoria Press.

I've also considered doing something else for science for my 4th grader. He loves the experiments in Adventures with Atoms and Molecules, but the chemistry explanations are going right over his head.

8th grader will be finishing The Fallacy Detective and moving on to The Thinking Toolbox.

That's about it. Anyone else?

re: Anyone planning changes for second semester?

biggest change: considering using equippingminds.com

The spam on this site is really a shame...I love coming here to read and learn, and the spam is so annoying to see. Thanks to all who keep posting! ;)

When the holidays were approaching, we kind of got into a slump where school was taking forever to get done, and we weren't enjoying our learning time as much. Now, considering the new year, I'm making some small changes to streamline our day, and keep things simpler. I'm realizing this year that not every subject has to be done using the perfect curriculum, and sometimes it's okay to just get things done and move on. Sometimes I get hung up on making every subject the perfect learning experience, but that's not always best when it makes the day longer, or taxes mama or student too much. My goal for the new year is to bring a bit more balance to our days, while strengthening skills, and enjoying my kids. I'm still pondering just what I'll do to accomplish that...it's a work in progress! 😂

This post was edited on Dec 28, 2017 08:05 AM

So true, momtofive! That's a very worthy goal. I hope you get it figured out for your family.

My 7th grader will be doing his first online class -- Study Skills through Well Trained Mind Academy. I also signed him up for Compu Scholar Web Savy. We are dropping grammar while he completes those courses. I know they don't exactly equate to grammar, but they do use grammar skills and he's strong in that area, so it seemed like the most reasonable subject to take a break from.

I have applied for a different job that will be more hours. If I get the job, more changes will likely occur, but I'm not making decisions about that yet.

My 12th grader is at community college.

My 10th grader will continue through his current courses.

My life last semester involved driving an hour each way twice a week to take dd to college, then sitting for 6 hours for her classes, and then driving home. So we did lots of workbooks for school to make it as easy on me as possible.

Well, it was easy but lame for the other 5. So I am ditching the workbooks and going back to my CM roots. I bought some good literature, having them read and copy/narrate etc. this upcoming semester I will be doing the driving routine 3-4 days a week depending on what dd’s schedule ends up being, but I don’t want the other children to grow to hate school. Hopefully this will help.

We’ll see.

Changed my daughter's Algebra from Jacobs to Shormann Math. I bought Jacobs from Masterbooks; the answer key/solutions manual had many mistakes, so that made checking her work very frustrating and time-consuming. Other problems we had were: trouble retaining previously taught material and exercises with concepts that were not covered in the lesson. It was something we both dreaded every day.

What I like about Shormann so far, notetaking is highly encouraged, lessons are graded as the student moves through the work, direct links to lesson material with each exercise, only 20 exercises per lesson, when I check her work I can clearly see what exactly she may have struggled with and what she is showing mastery in.

For my son, we totally threw out his science after two weeks! Looks like I'll be piecing together science for him for the rest of the year. I'm not even sure why I chose the science I did (God's Design for Life). I had used God's Design for the Physical World before with my daughter and hated it, I guess I thought it would go better with him, wrong!

Good to know about Jacob's/MB.
I've had my eye on Jacob's for a while, and wondered how folks were liking it. I can deal with a few errors, but many errors, especially in an answer key, drive me nuts.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions