Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CLE or ACE English/Language Arts

CLE or ACE English/Language Arts

If you had to choose one of these, which would you choose and why? Our kids are 13, 11 & 8.

This post was edited on Dec 04, 2017 12:42 PM

re: CLE or ACE English/Language Arts

I haven't used ACE, but one reason we really didn't care for CLE was the absolute clutter on a page. The new editions are great, but so far they only go up to grade 4. There is so much work on 1 page, so it was very cumbersome to check/grade as a teacher. They would have the kids doing 3 different activities on a group of sentences, so when the kids were done, some sentences would have words underlined, circled, and arrows floating around. It was soooo painful to check with the answer keys. That's what made me finally throw it out.

I have used both, and I would choose ACE. I did not care for the spelling that was included in CLE. I thought it sounded good to have it all together, but the reality was I didn't like it. I prefer the mastery aspect of ACE. I also like that ACE teaches the character traits in each PACE.

My vote is definitely ACE. I have used ACE and have ordered CLE LA twice and sent it back both times. I agree with everything the other two posters mentioned. I didn't care for the spelling in CLE, the amount of work each day, or the way the child was to do so many different things to each group of sentences. It would have confused my children.

I also thought I would like an all in one language but found out it was easier and less time consuming to pick and choose between publishers.

I also prefer the mastery style of ACE and the character traits as well. My kids love the comic strips and characters. I love the fact that ACE is written to the child and can be done independently (I know CLE is as well) but also that it doesn't take up a huge amount of time :)

ACE gets my vote as well! I bought CLE LA several times but each time my kiddos didn't make it through the first light unit. No color, very cluttered and confusing, especially with all the re-spellings. ACE is much more user friendly, and I, too, LOVE the Scripture memory verses and the character traits. My kids are growing by leaps and bounds since I've gone back to ACE.

I’ve havent read the other responses yet and I’m using my phone so please excuse typos.
I have a dd13, ds 11, dd8
This is our first year using cle 8th, 6th and 2 language arts and reading. The reading booklets are fine. But the la books. No! Thankfully I only ordered the first half of the year but we will not continue on after that.
The pages have so much on them. It’s hard to read it and figure out what you’re suppose to do. You’ll have a sentence. First you underline something, like a adverb, than later you have to go back and draw arrows to what it is modifying. But it keep going. You will have to bracket things or circle things. And there is very little space to do it with a pencil. There is different colored ink that messes with your eyes too. It’s advsnced, which is fine, just not done in an organized way.
We will go back to growing with grammar. Not sure what we will use when the 8th grade book is done, but it won’t be cle.
And I love cle math. Just not the la. I love the books they use in the reading course but again. It’s hard to focus on the worksheets.
Hope that helps
Sharee

I thought I would chime in with a vote for CLE.

I haven’t used ACE, but I have used CLE for a year now. I have looked at ACE a couple of times, and it didn’t look like a good fit for my children.

We used Rod and Staff English, for 5 1/2 years, for grammar and composition alongside CM narrations and dictation. Last January, we switched to CLE.

Rod and Staff is an excellent program, however, with CLE they are truly learning and retaining the lessons! The work book style and constant review has helped in both retention and in completing the work.

We have found CLE easy to use. We are currently using 600, 500, and 400. It is advanced in grammar instruction and has numerous exercises to apply what is being learned. I’ve found it easy enough to grade and teach. The spelling is working well.

As with all curriculum, the one they learn from and that you can teach will be best.

I've used both over the years and it depends on your learner:

My children who are academically advanced preferred CLE in the beginning but eventually became overwhelmed. They liked the clear start/stopping points, but felt it moved too quickly.

My other children prefer ACE because of the color and because of the mastery approach and the slower pace. There are lot of questions and material on one page though and it's repetitive, so it feels monotonous to check and to grade, but it's the one they ask to do when given a choice.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions