Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Ace Paces advice please

Ace Paces advice please

For those of you that use Ace, what subjects do you have your kids do? We kids grades 3, 5, & 7. We are only doing Science and Social Studies right now. I am wanting to add English and Word Building at the beginning of the year. I am wondering if anything else is beneficial.

This is a far cry from what I wanted us to be doing, Charlotte Mason. I have been having health issues this year so we needed something that they can do fairly independently. And, they like Ace. We still work in narration, copy work and such when we can.

I know Ace is solid so I feel good about it. Also, I know they have diagnostic tests. I am trying to place my oldest in English and Word Building. I have the grade 4 English Paces. Honestly, there is a lot there that would benefit him, but I hate to place him back that far. Can anyone tell me if the grade 5 and 6 Paces cover a lot of the same material? Looking at grade 7 i think much of it would be over his head.

This is what comes of switching curriculum too much in the past. Consistency is key, for any of you new homeschooling mamas out there.

re: Ace Paces advice please

I assume you are asking about the 4th grade English paces for your 7th grader? I currently have an 8th grader who just started in the 7th grade English paces. I started him a couple of years ago into ACE English, starting at the 5th grade level. Last year, I ordered the 7th grade paces, thinking we could skip the 6th grade one. When the 7th grade ones arrived, I realized that he would have been lost! So, I went ahead an ordered the 6th grade ones. I "think" you could probably start him /her at the 5th grade level. You can look at the individual paces at CBD and see what you think.

We like the Science, Social Studies, English, and Math for ACE.

I personally prefer R&S Spelling to ACE Word Building. Although, we do it a grade level behind, due to its difficulty.

I switched my 8th grader to ACE Math this year, knowing I would be using it for High School Math. Up till then, we used Rod & Staff. I was very surprised at how advanced ACE has become, compared to R&S. We had to go back and do some 7th grade paces that covered material he hadn't done before we could move into the 8th grade paces.

Forgot to add, for the elementary grades I love the Literature books. If you don't want to do the paces that go with them, that's something you could do more Charlotte Mason.

Thanks! I am going to look over the 5th grade Paces again. I just know from looking at the 7th grade set that he would be lost.

I would have him take the diagnostic tests, or just buy a couple of PACES from each grade and look them over. Sometimes it's hard to help with just the samples. I switched around too many times as far as English goes with both my children, and therefore, they were both a grade behind. My daughter is doing the 5th grade PACES this year, even though technically she's a 6th grader. The good thing is that ACE explains it so well that she is going quickly through the workbooks and may be halfway through 6th grade by the time school is out for the year. That's one of the things I like about ACE. The child can go as fast or slow as needed, and the workbooks aren't marked with a grade level that discourages or embarrasses the student.

Hope you find what you need!

I would also recommend taking the free diagnostic test online. I have found it to be pretty accurate when placing my children and it would identify any gap PACES that would need to be completed. He may only need to do a couple of those instead of starting a year or two behind.

We use ACE for Science and Social Studies. I really like and have used their English as well, but we are trying Rod and Staff this year because of the reusable aspect with 4 children. I personally also prefer Rod and Staff spelling over ACE Word Building and have used levels 2,3, and 4. I felt my children were wasting time studying relatively easy words in the PACES because there are a mix of easy and more difficult words in each PACE. That's just my personal opinion though and I would not hesitate AT ALL if we have any problems with R&S, to switch back to ACE. I think you have made a fine choice :)

I agree with preferring R&S Spelling to ACE Word Building.

I understand what you're saying about Word Building:) I actually used R&S Spelling in the past with both my children, but they did not like it at all. They actually both love their Word Building and they do it first every morning. A surprise for me because it is so much writing. But my daughter got very upset when I talked about discontinuing it and going with something else. So I would say to discuss it with your kiddos because they may like it even if we don't. My own children are also doing much better with their spelling now because Word Building has the spelling rules as well and explains them in a child-friendly way so that they understand.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions