Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

HS math and general questions.

HS math and general questions.

Hi...my daughter is in 10th grade, but redoing Algebra 1 because the program she was in didn't work out and she wasn't retaining the information. What I would like to know is should she go to Algebra 2 first, then Geometry?

On a side note, I've heard different statements about homeschooling. One, it's up to us what we teach, but then colleges require certain subjects, so how can it be truly "up to us"? And then there is the state educational guidelines....

Opinions, please?

re: HS math and general questions.

I guess my opinion would depend on what she wants to do after HS graduation.

Since she is in 10th and you hint that there is college in her future, you may want to have her start geometry alongside algebra at some point and teach both concurrently, so she will be prepared to take the SAT or ACT. (Maybe, you can continue math over the summer months.) My friend's son did algebra 1 and geometry in 10th, so it is possible.

This post was edited on Nov 08, 2017 04:44 PM

On the rhetorical question about up to us, but what about college entrance, so is it really up to us?

It's important to think about individual goals when designing what courses to do. For some students, they will not need to get to pre calc before college. For some, they will. Some students go into non 4 year schools and that is part of the consideration. Some students go into workforce. When 4 year college is in the goal, then it is up to us to get er done.

be encouraged. It's possible to do alg and geo in same year, and get that test prep in there too.

I've seen different paths go all kinds of ways. One friend with 5 year high school plan who struggled to get "enough" math for art school at the junior college. One of the math profs at my oldest dd's college was raised Amish and his parents didn't provide above alg 1. It was up to them. But..... God had other things in mind and that guy got a phd in math eventually.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Very helpful. :)

Is she STEM career-minded? If not, I'd just let her finish Alg. 1 this year, take Alg. 2 in 11th, and Geometry in 12th.

And if she is STEM career-minded, don't agonize or anything; just fit in pre-calc. (Accelerate Alg. 1 a bit; begin Alg. 2 in the summer for a headstart, and work on finishing that AND Geometry in 11th, to allow for pre-calc in 12th.)

I know MIT and WPI grads and believe me, there is a lot of hype about how much advanced math high school students need. >eye roll< These kids will have ulcers before they're 25.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions