Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

math, what would you do

math, what would you do

My son 11, just decided he was smart and is speeding through his books after years of his brain just not making the connection.

He finished MUS Beta in 2 months and is now doing Gamma. He pulled out the test book and is doing that correctly, I might add. He just finished lesson test 3 without any mistakes. would you:

1. Let him do the tests book until he misses some and start in the student book at that point.

2. Just do the whole student book?

This post was edited on Nov 02, 2017 05:34 PM

re: math, what would you do

If he is doing well on the tests, why do the extra work? That's the premise of how we always did Saxon...test through till they missed more than two questions on a test, then back up and start from there.

I agree with Bec-rockz. Let him do the tests until he hits a snag. Good for him!

This is our first year trying MUS with one child, and I would say that it is soooo slow and soooo repetitive that you could definitely fly through the books if you knew the stuff. Even if you did 1 lesson a day by doing the video and a few worksheet pages (which is what we did at the beginning) you will fly through the easy stuff.

I would do at least the review sheets...as that is the review of past stuff and if you haven't used MUS before at least listen to the lessons, do sheet A and review D, Test and go on as often he gives some really good helps for future problem solving. We have hit them...and you just wait till their brain catches up I have found and you have just seen. Marne

Thanks for the suggestions. He decided to do the student book from the beginning. He has forty pages done so far. I suppose he will finish all his book work very fast this year. He gets up at 6:30 in the morning and starts his school work, just like his sister.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions