Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Algebra 1

Algebra 1

I thinking about teaching an algebra 1 class at co-op next year. I am looking for an average algebra 1 book. I like the word problems in Foerster's algebra book, but I want something a little easier. MUS seems a little light, but I do like that how it explains the concepts. I want a book that is somewhere between these two that has lots of examples in the text.
Jan

re: Algebra 1

Maybe Jacob's?

Foresters is the best, because he builds up content in a very logical fashion, just pair it with the mathwithoutborders videos on the book.

The instruction from the videos will clear up any problems and will help your student make more connections. The videos go through the book examples and also teaches very well home work problems so that you can see where your mistakes are.

https://mathwithoutborders.com/algebra-1

Possible Algebra I books:

Saxon, BJU, A Beka, and I am sure a number of others would work.

We are currently using Saxon Algebra I, and my child who has always been advanced in math and reading loves it.

This post was edited on Nov 01, 2017 10:57 AM

..not trying to hound you are look like I am being argumentative...

You will have to choose what ever is a good fit for you and your child.

With that said, incase it helps, I learned Algebra 1 and 2 with Saxon, and it took all my joy out of math, a one time math whiz, through Saxon I grew confused, and even failed and had to take Algebra 2 again. (My math teacher was a math whiz so some of the difficulty may have been that those that are good at math naturally, often times have a tougher time teaching it, because they just "get it" and have never have had to learn other ways to look at it or process it, where in contrast those who struggle in math are often better math teachers because they have had to look at many angle in order to learn it.)

So with that said, when a math teacher told me how Saxon jumps around and how Foerester builds up logically and how you always understand the "why" for each step, I took her recommendation and never looked back.

It logically builds up.

I am not sure that a page or tow on line will convey what the text does, and how brilliant it is. F's may not have as many examples as SAxon, but in truth it builds up so slowly and carefully it is not an issue.

To be honest when we used it though, the second semester became a little more difficult, when my friend suggested Mathwithoutborders we then were able to finish the course with ease.

The two are a great pair and if you use them together from the start I think you will be satisfied.

But of course they all get the job done.

I just give you this incase it helps as I know it is difficult to decide from threads like this.

My high school math teacher friend was the most help. She has been through them all and can tell you the pros and cons of each book, in the end I just went with her choice, which was Foeresters.

This post was edited on Oct 31, 2017 09:31 AM

So with that said, when a math teacher told me how Saxon jumps around and how Foerester builds up logically and how you always understand the "why" for each step, I took her recommendation and never looked back.

I have found Saxon in 7/6, 8/7, and Algebra I to build up very logically without jumping around. I have taught every lesson we have done in Saxon (we are two months into Algebra I), and I have found Saxon to be an all inclusive text with the Geometry. In fact, the element I have liked most about Saxon is the logical progression from concept to concept with built in review. I do teach the 'why' behind the math though myself so I may have thought differently if I wanted that element built into the program. The problems are excellent.

I personally didn't like the Foerester book when I reviewed it, and I have always been strong in math. However, I think every text will be liked by some and disliked by others. I don't think there is a 'best text book' for 'a one size fits all education'. I think every text will have people who love it, and people who don't love it.

In a classroom situation, like a co-op, the best book to pick is probably the one the teacher likes to teach since it can't be individualized to every student. A classroom changes everything in how things can be taught versus the tutoring element of home schooling or individualized education.

I used MUS for awhile and did find it quite lacking in certain elements of the teaching. However, I also know from reps that it has students who graduated from using MUS through Calculus who are now math teachers. This goes back to my thought that every text will have someone it works well for.

Blessings for the difficult decision you need to make.

This post was edited on Nov 01, 2017 11:00 AM

We are using and loving Lial's Introductory Algebra this year. I would say that it is easier than Foerster but harder than MUS.

I agree with you lizbeth that Foester's is the best one. My daughter is taking a class that uses his Algebra 2 book. It is hard, but the more I help her the more I love the book. I will likely use his books with my son.

I am just worried that it could be overwhelming for the students in my class. I know several of them have used Math U See up to now. I think going from Math U See to Foester's would be a big jump which is why I was looking at other options.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions