Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Using Science Shepherd Life Science as biology?

Using Science Shepherd Life Science as biology?

Do you think that would work? I am looking for a biology for Grade 9 that is a bit on the light side and I am considering this. It's says it's for Grades 7-9 so it seems like it would qualify as a high school science. Thoughts?

ETA: Ok, I already found one problem - there is no lab component.

This post was edited on Oct 26, 2017 08:49 PM

re: Using Science Shepherd Life Science as biology?

I'm not familiar with this text but I wouldn't let the lack of labs stop you, if that is your only concern. If you do an internet search, you can find all kinds of labs to do for biology. :-)

This post was edited on Oct 31, 2017 11:45 AM

(oops, doubled posted)

ps: in terms of doing own labs...., check out home science tools for some of their kits from other text publishers. for example on the link to labs, there's one with watching cell division on prepared slide, and I remember the microscope slide kit on apologia has similar thing here...
https://www.homesciencetools.com/product/apologia-biology-microscope-lab-kit/

or some people will do microscope slides as virtual lab to look it up. But I think my children benefited from finding the stuff in person with scope and having to adjust knobs and all of that.

mostly wanted to let you know you can get lab supplies from there and do like melanie said and get labs in other ways. You don't have to make it all line up with chapters either.

This post was edited on Oct 31, 2017 11:46 AM

You might take a look at Friendly Biology. It's a new release this year - and you can order either a Christian-friendly version or secular version. Has color on pages, easy labs that get done and are understood. The scope of the subjects are all there but it is presented in much easier text to better understand.

After finding Apologia Biology not a good fit my students needs this fall, ( I REALLY like it personally BUT I am a Biology major but also recognize my student is NOT going to need or want such a very detailed course ) I found Friendly Biology after reading this posting. Apologia was ok up to this course IF I adapted it to our needs but now with Biology,despite such adaptions as it is just so much more that General Science and Physical Science, it has quickly made a science hater of him with all the details and terms.

Friendly Biology looks like a wonderful option for the average non science student to get a good high school level Biology basis, and is actually more like what i remember of MY high school experience in biology. Take look at it....its new this last spring but has good samples to check it out.

Marne

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions