Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Failing in secondary Language Arts

Could you please tell me, briefly, what type of language arts materials you are using (print or online) and what you do or don't like about them.

I'm a little overwhelmed by the reviews.

Why are local kids failing in homeschool.

The principal of our alternative high school says half of his students (that makes over 100) come to him from home school to earn a GED or district diploma but won't hazard a guess as to what's missing at home.

Any thoughts on why it's so great for some and doesn't work for others?

My guess is that parents are tired of being hassled about their kids behavior and performance in public school but lack the relationship or commitment to do home school.

re: Failing in secondary Language Arts

So, your child is failing?

What part of "language arts" is the problem? Grammar? composition? literature?

I would "guess" (in some cases because I don't speak for all homeschoolers) that the parents are unsure of their rights and to accommodate employers or state colleges, they acquire a GED to fulfill a request. Even in a "red" state such as Pennsylvania, there are laws that protect parent issued diplomas as being equivalent to PS diplomas.

I would suggest to those parents to become members of The Homeschool Legal Defense Association to instruct others in the law. SAT and ACT scores can be proof of education enough for colleges. Some employers require high school diplomas and those are usually the entities that need to be educated because they aren't familiar with homeschooling. That's where HSLDA would step in and mediate for the family.

I would encourage you to look at the following web-site:

nheri.org

They have completed extensive national research on the homeschool movement. It sounds like reading information regarding home education and its success could help you.

Early homeschoolers used to use the GED process to apply to the Universities. It wasn’t seen as a failure, but as a way to obtain a diploma. I know adult homeschoolers who took the GED test and went to top Universities. Currently, a homeschool transcript and test scores are more commonly used for University applications.

I don’t think home education works for everyone, but home schoolers graduate a much higher percentage of teens and they test much higher on average than the public schools. I would encourage you to do the research.

I have used both Rod and Staff English / Spelling and Christian Light Education for grammar and composition instruction. They are both exceptional and far surpass the education I received in a top notch public school.

By: bryceeyre Oct 24, 2017 04:41:PM
Could you please tell me, briefly, what type of language arts materials you are using (print or online) and what you do or don't like about them. ~ I used a lot of different programs over the years. To me, if you keep working at it, you make progress. It's not about this book or that book but making progress.

I'm a little overwhelmed by the reviews. ~ if you know how the student learns best, start from there.

Why are local kids failing in homeschool.
By: bryceeyre Oct 24, 2017 04:50:PM
The principal of our alternative high school says half of his students (that makes over 100) come to him from home school to earn a GED or district diploma but won't hazard a guess as to what's missing at home. ~ My kids will get a GED. What's the big deal? Many homeschoolers go that route. It is an option.

Any thoughts on why it's so great for some and doesn't work for others? ~ I don't understand this question. Maybe you could clarify why public school works for some but not others then you would have your answer.

My guess is that parents are tired of being hassled about their kids behavior and performance in public school but lack the relationship or commitment to do home school. ~ The reason someone chooses to homeschool today will not be the reason they choose to homeschool tomorrow. I am surprised that people keep sending their kids to public school with the fight that they have over common core. We do have a choice! Isn't it great.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions