Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

WWYD? Spelling woes for dd entering workforce

WWYD? Spelling woes for dd entering workforce

We have tried several spelling curriculum and general spelling strategies over the years. To be honest, my goal is to get her to stage where she can function in the workforce without being embarrassed by her spelling!

Should I work with her through lists of commonly misspelled words? Try and make sure she knows words common to her field (daycare)? What would you do?

re: WWYD? Spelling woes for dd entering workforce

It was a mentally grueling thing for me to release my oldest son to adulthood without a firm grasp of spelling. He learned to use spell check. He is 27 and runs his own business, so it's all good.

I hate that I never could teach him to spell.

It was a mentally grueling thing for me to release my oldest son to adulthood without a firm grasp of spelling. He learned to use spell check. He is 27 and runs his own business, so it's all good.

I hate that I never could teach him to spell.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh yes, I can relate! I feel like I failed her.

Same problem here. I would recommend that your dd plan on having a career in which spelling-on-the-spot is not required. When you say "ready for workforce" I am not sure what you mean... :)

Almost every job uses the computer to do everything. There are very few jobs where it would be super obvious that she doesn't spell well. I think elementary or middle school teaching (other than math) would be pretty obvious and pretty frustrating. If she made a mistake the kids either would not catch it or would howl for eons.
She could probably teach high school or college English where most lessons are pre-planned and she can use a projector or tablet and the white screen. Making comments on student papers might be tricky but she could have a list of pre-spelled corrections and comments, and use those...she'd learn to spell the stuff she commonly says anyway.

My dd wants to be a math teacher now, since she really feels like being an English teacher (her second choice) would bring with it so much frustration for her as far as spelling.

As far as college, teachers and professors very rarely require in-class written essays. When they do, they generally do not mark off for spelling. They're trying to gauge if your student is paying attention, reading the material and thinking independently. It would be a very obtuse professor that would give a mini essay pop quiz in English or Political Science and then mark off for spelling. I am not saying it isn't possible but I have not seen that at all with my son, or with friends who teach at college.

How old is your dd? My dd is in 8th grade and I wanted to do spelling one last year but it just doesn't seem worth it. She is however doing a LOT of writing by hand, as well as a LOT of typing and writing essays, and that has served to improve her spelling a lot!

I hope my rambling helps.

Thanks Calming Tea. I appreciate your thoughts. Technology has made life easier for poor spellers!

Still, I think there will be times when she will putting pen to paper (I know where she will be working) and I would still like to help her before I set her on her way.

Susan C. Anthony has a program called Spell Well and it's for older students.
http://www.susancanthony.com/bk/sw.html

Here is the description on the website: It's never too late to learn to spell! This one-year program reviews words which account for over half of misspellings by high school students. Spell Well includes 24 ready-to-use lists of 20 words each, with additional spaces on each list for review words. Dictation sentences to follow each list are provided, as well as suggestions for daily practice and homework. Recommended for student 12 years of age and older who have not used the Spelling Plus program.

We use her Spelling Plus program and it's the only program that's helped my daughter. There are free workshops on the website too that explain her philosophy with spelling.

Hope this helps.

My dd is not a great speller. We have continued to do spelling all through high school. She is a junior this year. She is currently working through this book. It was just something I already had; someone must have given it to me years ago. Anyway, I would look for a list of commonly misspelled words, and also find a book geared toward adults.

https://www.amazon.com/Spelling-Minutes-English-9-Oct-1997-Paperback/dp/B013PRHPPC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1508813668&sr=8-4&keywords=better+spelling+in+30+minutes+a+day

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will check out the resources that have been mentioned.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions