Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Favorite American history spine for 5th and 3rd??

Favorite American history spine for 5th and 3rd??

It can be a textbook, curriculum, living book. What's your favorite?

Basically I'm looking for something to read to them. Then I'll add in my own ideas for vocabulary, notebooking, and add movies and living books to read as well.

re: Favorite American history spine for 5th and 3rd??

Favorite book: DK Children's Encyclopedia of American History

Favorite DVD series: America: The Story of Us

I really liked America The Beautiful by Notgrass.... we started using that with Sonlight's Core D and E as we didn't care for the USA books that they had with it at that time. They didn't add in the book mentioned by above person till later...which is very nice also.

Marne

I really like BJU Heritage Studies for the elementary years.

You could read through the text together and add in your own extras. That is what I did. You would just have to decide what year (grade) to go with.

For an 8yo and a 10yo, i don't know if I could choose a *spine.* I'd have to go with reading good trade books, good historical fiction, biographies, and sort of ramble around. Robert Lawson's "Ben and Me" and "Mr. Revere and I" are historical fiction that takes place during the American Revolution. Jean Fritz's biographies are short and sweet and excellent. Actually, most of the books in the Beautiful Feet Books American history literature packs, but without the study guides. For children that young, reading and field trips and whatnot are more than enough; you want them to love history, even if they don't remember exact details yet, because when they get to be 14 or so, and now it's important to do chronological history and remember dates and stuff, they'll have lots of wonderful details tucked in their brains to fill in the cracks of the textbooks (because at the high school level, textbooks are a pretty decent way to provide a good framework of study).

What Ellie said. Add to it the D’Aulaire books, the What if you traveled on the Underground Railroad (series - that is just one in the series), and the Landmark series books.

If you absolutely wanted a textbook approach - then America the beautiful, but honestly, I think those are much better for the grade 5-7 crowd. You get more out of them then, IMO.

I agree with elliemayjune; the beautiful feet books are ideal for my younger children, ages 8 and 10, and I've seriously considered BF"s Modern Us and World History for my 13 ds. I love history and I tend to overbuy history books, texts and living books. The children much prefer the living to the texts. I can't find a text to satisfy me so I'll just wait till they are older and can handle a text.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions