Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: how does proving work in math benefit life skills in the future?

how does proving work in math benefit life skills in the future?

I'm referring to having a student write down their work in math. It has to have other positive elements that go beyond school.

What do you think they are?
What life skills can be associated with it?
As a student, college student, adult, citizen, and in the workforce?

There are no right or wrong answers to the question. It's a curious thought.

This post was edited on Oct 20, 2017 12:24 AM

re: how does proving work in math benefit life skills in the future?

:) Interested as well.

This post was edited on Oct 20, 2017 12:25 AM

re: how does proving work in math benefit life skills in the future?

Midwest, kinda like when we tell a child "you need to your broccoli because I said so" moments. ;)

This post was edited on Oct 20, 2017 12:31 AM

I think of "showing your work" (proving) is about showing step by step how you do something.

without much thought on it:
with numbers:
Filing taxes comes to mind. You need to leave step by step paper trail when itemize and show how you came to that number on the line ,not just in case you get audited, but for accurate filing.

Budget requests: someone will need to show their work how they got that number and why and all of that.

Dealing with proving that yes the charges on the flexible spending account card really are eligible for repayment. oh yes I had to show our work on that with numbers and how the doctor's office got that tally.

or hey, how about dealing step by step with the business office at my dd's college for figuring how whether or not we owed the late fee (we didn't). oh yeah, I had to show that step by step, date by date, amount by amount. No, I didn't have to say things like "I used such and such axiom to do what not."

In terms of words instead of numbers, anything that requires step by step instruction is a form of proving/showing. That could be how to make a cake, or how to get somewhere, or a lawyer in court doing her thang.

Anytime you need to figure out How to do, how do I get there... that is same logic/thinking process. don't you think? or is this a trick question about the level of detail in how/why do you show your work? If this is a religious question about why your faith needs you to teach any math, then disregard.

ps: my family members who do computer programming, need to leave similar show your work in their code.

This post was edited on Oct 20, 2017 06:04 AM

Showing work helps us to look back at the process to see where we made mistakes.

That applies to everything in life, how can we ever improve performance or relationships if we don't ever step back and look at the decisions made along the way that got us to this point.

I don't know about benefiting life skills in the future o_0 but it certainly helps with....math.

flowers, exactly! lol I do that with my own kids sometimes. They'll say, "But why do I have to do such & such?" And I say, "Because I'm your mom and I said so!" LOL. Great teaching moments......

Anyway, I really can't think of much proving may teach in the way of life skills, but as far as math is concerned, it certainly helps us see if and where we made a mistake.

LOL Just saw elliemae's comment....too funny and my thoughts as well :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions