Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Is A beka parents kits necessary

Is A beka parents kits necessary

I have a friend interested in A beka and he wants to know if the parents kit for elementary is necessary? Do the student books have the instructions in them? Does he need to purchase the whole kit or can he just buy a certain teacher/parent book for each subject. I know I use CLE and purchased the teachers books because it has the answers to the workbooks but they never leave the shelf the only TM I use is for 1st grade math and that's because a few of the problems are in the tm but other than that I dont use them whatsoever. Is a beka the same way? Or is all the instruction in the parents books.

re: Is A beka parents kits necessary

With Abeka, you'll notice that there are teacher editions (which have the entire copy of the student text plus answers), answer keys (answers only, no text), and curriculum/lesson plans (no text, but lessons planned throughout the year, including when to give quizzes and tests).

Personally, I feel that the curriculum/lesson plans are essential. The answer key or TE is useful for me in the upper grades, when it would become time-consuming to grade without one.

In the elementary grades, there are definitely supplementary flashcards and charts that I would consider essential to teaching the material. One might do without, but it would be much simpler and more streamlined to use their teaching aids, rather than taking the time to try to create substitutes.

I've used Abeka for all of my children, from elementary through high school. There are a few other gals here who have done the same, notably Minniewannabe and Cricket. Maybe they will chime in, or you could address a post to ask them.

If you have a specific question about a particular grade, let me know.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions