Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

What was I thinking?!

re: What was I thinking?!

I would ditch the guide and just read the books and do written narration. I know HOD includes a few textbooks. You can use them as written, just opening up the book and doing the next assignment each day.

That's how we've always home schooled. Simply read stacks of books for various subjects and work for a certain amount of time each day in skill subjects. I have never once been able to follow someone else's plans. We just read the next chapter, do the next page, do the next thing every day. :-)

We've used HOD for a long time, and find it to be *our* favorite approach, but we use it in a way that meets our needs and aren't a slave to the guide. The most important thing is finding what fits for your family. Spending the year stressed out over curriculum is *not* fun at all. Truthquest guides are awesome, and a great way to accomplish your desire for living books, while incorporating everyone in the study. Your plans don't have to be super detailed, or written out for long periods. I have a dear friend whose successfully used TQ guides for many years, and it's always looked like such a great way to learn history. I know *for our family* HOD is the best fit (especially the way we use it...not completely as written), but I've drooled over the TQ guides on more than one occasion! Lol! :) I wish you the best in finding your family's best fit for this season, and pray the rest of your school year is peaceful and blessed! ;)

We like HOD best, and everytime I try something else, I feel ho-hum. Our solution is to do what works in the guide and skip or simplify the rest!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions