Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

What was I thinking?!

What was I thinking?!

I mentioned last week that the kids chose to switch back to HOD. I have no idea what I was thinking! Lol! I got the last guide in the mail today and oh my, the anxiety and uneasiness that comes with it is familiar from the last three times we tried it. Am I ever going to get this right?!

re: What was I thinking?!

I can relate! :)

Can you just toss the guide?

Hopefully, you can return it.
Q: What is your return policy?
A: You may return any item within 30 days for a full refund if we receive the items back in new condition. Shipping is not refundable. Please pack the box securely to avoid damage in shipping. After 30 days there is a 15% restocking fee for returns. After 60 days, there are no returns.
What were your reasons for choosing HOD again?

Leave it to Homeschoolers to make things more complicated than they really need to be.

HOD uses living books right?

Just read the books, some together some on own, ask some questions, have discussions or even have them write about a book here and there if you like.

Those schedules are maddening!

We just read sonlight books, and other books from certain lists.

Good books don't have to be read in slow motion. (or quickly for that matter)

I think most of us have been there at one point or another. Just try simplifying. Can you skip some of the boxes, or just use the books without the schedule? If all else fails, just send it back.

I know I haven't posted here in a while. It's been a crazy wild ride it seems like for us, lately.

Anyway, simplify. It's the only we can make homeschooling work. Somehow, we do still enjoy reading aloud, even though I'm a HOD dropout. But I don't follow a schedule.

This post was edited on Oct 13, 2017 05:13 PM

HOD is way way over complicated! Some people love it and it’s a wonderful Christian program but I sent mine back as well. Looked it a hundred times, online and in person at conventions....I just don’t know the reason for packing so much in one day, in tiny and also large bits and pieces and all the complicated requirements for crafts, notebooking even the way the guide tells the kids to make flash cards is over complicated!

But it’s October 12th, so when does your school year start? I would send it back and regroup. What have you used that worked in the past? Why did the kids like HOD? Can you take from
Their memories of why they liked it and build one aspect into what you’re doing with them?

Good luck, I’ve started over in October once or twice and it was hard on the kids but it sounds like you’re not starting over, just starting :)

Calming Tea,
We are starting over. What I had planned wasn't as great as I thought. S o, back to square one. I think we are just going to continue our study of American History instead and do as much together as possible. The kids also liked Truthquest History. I am going to get the guides, mostly for book ideas, and loosely follow that. That was our best year so far. I don't know why we strayed away from it.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions