Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Dropping Video Lessons from Abeka Academy Q

Dropping Video Lessons from Abeka Academy Q

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we may need to cancel our video school with A Beka. I'm absolutely sick over this right now as it really has been a breath of fresh air and a huge blessing for our family as our therapy schedule becomes a daily thing.

We're within the return window and may keep the books but we may cut the videos.

Is this even doable? Or will it be best just to send back everything?

The last time we tried A Beka as parent-led without the videos, it was a nightmare and burden. Fortunately, now we have older kids.

I'm just trying to work this out as we didn't see it coming.

re: Dropping Video Lessons from Abeka Academy Q

So sorry that it didn't work out for you all. Been there and done that as well!

If I had any idea that I "might" want to teach any particular subject, I would keep those books. That would be much better than sending back and regretting it. However, I'm late to posting this, so I'm sure you've already decided on something.

I've learned with my ds, that what is suppose to be a time saver in homeschool, does not always work out the way it's suppose to! Abeka video, even though a great program for many, did not simplify things over here. Best wishes on finding what works for you all.

fun@home

I am not sure how old your kids are.
But for high school math there is yaymath.com which is very affordable, and well taught. You don't even need to buy a text book. You do need to print up worksheets daily though. Tests and quizzes are done on line and you can reuse it for all your kids.

May not be an option you would ever want to consider, but we use Acellus...a very affordable video curriculum. We love it.

Actually, Abeka was my "go to" when life circumstances were more challenging. Abeka is set up to read to learn. It lends itself to independent learning as the grades go up. You can simply check comprehension, quizzes, and tests. (and enjoy conversation about the wonderful things they learn)

Managers of Their Schools is a great tool for homeschooling.
Teri Maxwell has first hand experience with needing a solid curriculum that the kids could do even with life issues in the mix.
While I don't agree with all of Maxwell's advice in her book, there are plenty of golden nuggets in there. Also, in the back of the book, there's a schedule for some of the Abeka texts.

You can do Abeka without the videos. We did for years.
When it came time for chemistry, I got the DVDs.
It's all about what works for your family. The best materials are the ones that you actually USE and ENJOY.

HTH
Michelle32

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions