Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CLE HomeEc

CLE HomeEc

Has anyone tried this. We have used CLE for Math and LA for years and have really loved it.
I am wondering about the Home Ec. my 10th grader is really interested in it.

Thank you

re: CLE HomeEc

My middle dd did. (she gradated a few months ago)
Well, ok, we didn't do the sewing booklets. I don't sew and don't have a machine. and we skipped unit 10 as that didn't seem "home ec" to me but more of topical Bible study in life choices.

not sure what you'd like to know about how it went.

I liked that using the booklets helped me to have guided cooking projects and all of that. This is my child who needs direct instruction in this stuff so it was good tool for that. The information on cooking tools was good.
She liked doing the interior design units. and the early childhood stuff was interesting for her since she helps with younger special ed classes at church.

It's your basic "worktext" style of learning. read a little, do your worksheet. do your project. quiz. test. streamlined into several small booklets.

We're not anabaptist but could use it. Didn't bother us.

and I have not used Home Ec 2 (the baking focus) yet. I kinda want to use it with my youngest. She's the more natural kitchen person and might like the content.

It's your basic "worktext" style of learning. read a little, do your worksheet. do your project. quiz. test. streamlined into several small booklets.

I think she is used to this from doing CLE Math and English, but I am now rethinking if doing a Home Ec. subject in this format would really be worth it.

Hmmmm.

Thanks CBollin. Good to hear some feedback on it.

I thought of some other stuff from our experience with it. The projects were good.
Recipes were doable and worked in the cooking units. It wasn't all worksheet.

projects with budgeting and shopping worked out. (some of those you needed to go check prices at stores near you while some of them were worksheet practice)

In the interior design, there was more than just the paper based stuff. But some project of either redecorating a room in the house, or (and we did the or) designing a room from model size with shoe box

It worked well for us to have the blend of text and projects for middle child who gets forgotten. blush. It was a blend of text and projects. and with her learning style and slow processing on stuff in real life, it was nice to have the details in writing.

of course you know the goals of your needs and there are lots of good ways to design unit study or all hands on class. everyone is different in how they learn and what goals for a class. Hope you find the better fit :)

adding some info if it is helpful to someone down the road.

Been using Home Ec 2 from CLE for a little bit now. I like light units 1 and 2. I like the straightforward presentation of info on equipment and selection of flours. and the recipes are doable for baking. Looking forward to projects in unit 2 with pies as Thanksgiving will be here soon. This daughter has usually helped Dad with his pie baking at holidays, but it's kinda fun to give it credit too. wink.

unit 3: gardening. It's read and glean info. maybe someday we'll have a garden. lots of great info in it.

unit 4: abc of money mngt. I'm not sure yet on this. although I agree with many ideas, the presentation feels a little off to me in the sense of "shame" based approach of those ideas. maybe I'll like it better in a few weeks, or maybe I was expecting something else.

Overall, I like the idea of having simple to follow and easy, straightforward information about why we pick the flour/leavening we do for baking and putting it into practice. This is ideal for my youngest daughter to learn and get credit without a lot of stress on me to over think it. Glad we picked it.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions