Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Another grading question

Another grading question

If you grade daily work to be a part of the course's final grade, do you count the score before your student has made corrections or afterwards?

I guess if you grade it after they make corrections, they would always have 100% right? Is that weird or is that acceptable? I always have my kids correct their mistakes.

I'm trying to come up with a grade for a math course, if that helps.

re: Another grading question

Stories will vary and the rationale for choices will vary as well.

Here's my story on that question for math.
With my oldest and middle who used Saxon (and jacobs geometry), the Daily Work grade was only about 5% of final grade. The student checked her daily work and recorded the grade before corrections. This let me know how well she was doing without second tries. If I saw a week of "low score" in problem set, then I knew to check some other ways for understanding and struggles before giving a test. That's the reason I used pre correction score.

Yes, we also did "half points" as needed. pure fans of saxon grading can faint now.

To the question you have about does it look weird if it's 100%? I have to ask the question "who other than you will see this detail?" I was never asked for that level of detail from cover school and definitely not from colleges.

As far as math goes, homework is like participation for me. Either the homework was completed or it was not. If my child does his math homework, he gets 100%. If he does not, he gets a 0. (never happened so far)

I really don't have the energy to grade several pages of math homework each day and the homework is only a fraction of the final grade. We also count tests and quarter exams.

My children still correct their math homework, and if several problems were missed, I expect them to rework some missed problems to show understanding of the concept.

If they are completing the work for mastery then it makes sense that they receive all 100%'s on their homework.

I didn't *grade* daily work; I corrected it, but generally speaking, it would not be part of the final grade. It would be different, of course, from a long-term project of some kind.

So if you don't incorporate daily work into the final grade, or if it's just a small percentage (like 5%), then is the majority of the mark coming solely from tests and quizzes? Just curious.

Interestingly, I did the math, and my son has the same score on his tests as he does on his daily work, so it really doesn't matter which I go with - it's all the same!

For math, my kids are independent and I grade them based on total problems/problems missed. They still correct them after I grade.

However, in grammar, english, religion, history and science, if they miss more than 85-90% we go over the material together and really discuss the concepts in detail until they understand. In this case I give them a grade adjusted up to between 95-100% because I consider it thoroughly covered and with good comprehension. I am able to assess them as we discuss and I expect a degree of narration and participation regarding the concepts. In some cases they have to go back and re-read sections of the material, possibly take notes. We make corrections together on their papers. Sometimes there is a difference between what they already understand and the point the book is trying to make. Sometimes they are applying ideas across the entire curriculum and just don't understand what the book/test wants so I give them the specific answer the book wants and help them to see there are many ways to answer the question; often their answers are not wrong, just not what the test was looking for. In this way, they broaden their knowledge of test taking. But I always adjust the grade up, if this kind of exchange takes place. HTH

.....then is the majority of the mark coming solely from tests and quizzes? Just curious.

In my case, Yes.

The 5% daily grade helped me to develop a feel for what my oldest kid was doing. Helped give us a place to know what was struggle. It was somewhat an incentive to not get behind as well.
With Middle gal, it helped me feel more comfortable giving a B plus instead of B when the exam average percentage was on the edge. should I be all hard butt on it and round down, or is there room for subjective add in based on this? hmmm...

Looking back, it helped with college classes as many of those had have a small 5-10% class participation as part of the syllabus. I know some colleges don't do that. But oldest attends a college known for small class size (15 or so students per class.) Middle has to do a "participation" grade in her online audit to get full points (even though in her case it doesn't matter since it's a MOOC platform and who cares, right?)

Lots of good ways.

I give 100% for daily work if it's finished. And then the problems are fixed/discussed.

The final math grade is 75% tests.
And 25% daily work.

In the end, I know the university looked at my son's transcript, but I feel like the biggest factor for admission was just the ACT score, anyway. I was not asked to provide work samples or course descriptions.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions