Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Apologia biology lab

Apologia biology lab

Anybody have free links to videos or good resources to do labs? We don't have a microscope or much in the way of lab equipment.
Or should I just buy the resource from cbd?

re: Apologia biology lab

at one point (and maybe it's still the case) "martysahm" had some on her blog.
wait maybe it wasn't marty's blog, but she linked to it? in any case, try this link. After reading her July entry on changes, then use the apologia sciences tab for specifics.
https://appliejuice.wordpress.com

I sometimes used that as a comparison to what we were doing.

You can compare pricing at home science tools and get a microscope and the slides. Or other sites to get less expensive used model. There are other homeschool friendly suppliers. check prices. I knew I was buying it for use with 3 children over time, so I went with home science tool model 4100std
They also have a "kids scope" that is good enough to the labs in apologia biology if the price drop makes it more possible.
https://www.homesciencetools.com/kids-led-portable-microscope

I think it is good practice to learn to use the equipment whether you buy new, used or team up with someone locally. Compare prices and all of that with your favorite places to shop. If you go with CBD, remember, you can use the link to the left (in the red box on this forum) and HSR benefits. keeps the place running :)

You can ask around locally to borrow/buy/rent for the year someone's microscope, or find a lab partner and go to their house.

one friend of mine was on really good terms with their vet's office and used a microscope there or from them.

Even if you don't do any of the microscope labs or the dissections, there are still 18 labs you can do, or partially do.

It says in the intro to the text that there are 3 types of labs: microscope, dissections and home labs (or something like that). You only have to do two types in order to count it as a lab science. So you could certainly leave out the microscope ones and be fine.

In my neck of the woods, where such things don't matter, I just have my students do the home labs, so they are still doing 18 labs over the year. I think that's plenty.

That's true that you don't "have" to do them in order to receive lab credit. So if you only look at pics on that blog or another online sources it's ok.

Somewhere else Apologia says that if you do all 3 categories of labs, then you can call it an honors course since you did extra.
Wish I had known that for oldest. It could have looked good on transcript for a state scholarship. So thought I'd mention that.

but if you don't... you're not a bad person and you haven't ruined your kid.

Where I live it isn't dictated on this stuff either. But that's a whole different issue from how to accomplish it if you want to. For example, my youngest is doing the microscope and other labs, but just virtual dissections. Middle gal is helping her with the microscope. Who knew how it would be one of middle gal's favorite thing from biology class? Oldest kid thought the whole biology class was stupid and the microscope part the lamest thing ever. Youngest - seems to like looking for about 1 minute and done.

enjoy the variety. don't go broke buying a microscope. and if you can't afford it and have nothing to borrow, use the link above for nice slides and photos of those things, or look them up online. Think of it the same way as whether or not to buy a telescope to see the planets. really awesome and cool if you can and then see the rings of Saturn, but if you only see them in a book or nasa video, it's ok too.

Thank you ladies!
I appreciate the advice. I will quit stressing over the fact we don't have a microscope right now. I know we can get the home labs done and we might try to work in the dissections. So worst case scenario is ok.

Try virtual homeschool group! We just started using the biology one and it is great so far. With their lab link, you don't have to have a real microscope. I love the teacher, Tammy Moore. She is a great presenter.

fun@home

It's not cheap, but Apologia has an instructional DVD for biology which has a video presentation of every experiment. It also has instructional videos and diagrams, plus lots more. We're excited to try it out this year.

If you really want a microscope, I had good luck at shopgoodwill.com. It's kind of like ebay but by Goodwill. I bought a very decent sturdy scope for $10 plus shipping. It normally would have been $90+. Good luck!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions