Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

So....how do you grade writing for all ages?

So....how do you grade writing for all ages?

Just curious how others do it? Content grade? Grammar grade? Make them rewrite? Correct everything they write.

Mine tend to be sloppy, quick , get it on paper before I forget what I want to say writers. Leaving many errors that theyou would catch if they would slow down.
Tips? Ideas?

re: So....how do you grade writing for all ages?

If I'd had children who were hurrying through and doing a lousy job, I'd correct every.jot.and.tittle until they figured out they needed to slow down and do a *good* job.

That's what I've been doing, but it has given them a dislike for writing.

Well, define "writing." What kinds of things? Only assignments for English? or also history or science or anything else? And they have to know they can't just throw words on a paper and hope their reades can understand it. And why do they have to love writing?

It sounds like they're writing rough drafts which is the second step in the writing process. It's important for some writers to write quickly so they don't lose their thought process. I'd teach the writing process: planning, rough draft, editing, proof-reading, and publishing or sharing. A first grader may use this process to write a well crafted and illustrated original sentence and a high schoolers to write a researched essay.

This post was edited on Sep 07, 2017 06:33 AM

I try to pick one or two things for them to improve on each time, if there are mistakes. I try to keep it age appropriate. So, for my 4th grader, I'll point out that he needs a capital letter, or make a spelling correction. For my 10th grader, I'll point out if his paragraph doesn't really have much to do with his thesis statement, or if his conclusion needs improvement. But I try to only pick one or two things per assignment so they don't get overwhelmed with everything being wrong.

I don't correct my kids writing at all until middle school. Then we edit each paper together until it is well done. Then all papers get A's. Sub par work is not accepted.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions