Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Do you make your high schooler rewrite essays?

re: Do you make your high schooler rewrite essays?

One of the [many] reasons I didn't like WriteShop was its insistence on multiple rough drafts, as if it were a real, honest-to-goodness necessity to have [insert favorite number] of rough drafts for every.single.writing.project.

While learning to write longer things, requiring one rough draft might be ok, but not multiple, not that the teacher has to see/edit, because the point is for the writer to do as much rewriting as necessary, and only the write knows how much rewriting he needs.

That's a very good point, elliemae. :)

With my children, they needed 2 or 3 tries on it. It wasn't a rigid requirement or formula from me or the curriculum we used. It was based on individual need of the emerging writer with some learning differences in the mix. It was time for discussion and input .Not time for some senseless assignment to be graded. and not a time either to point out every.little. mistake. My dd got to hear the good stuff as well so they didn't change that out when it was good enough.
That style of discussion is what my college daughter experienced as well. She got to hear about parts that were very well done and spot on, and hear about things needed help.

My guess is that these days oldest writes one time and maybe double checks it before turning it in. But in high school and younger, oh she needed 2 or 3 tries to do her best.

Not every writer can do it well in 1 go at it. And based on reading my local news station website, I think they need an editor and proofreader. sigh. sorry, I just read this one article and thought of this thread and had to come back here to say that out loud.

everyone is different. hope some of the details about why I did what I did help you to know whether to glean from or ignore it.

**well maybe the 2 drafts were a "formula" on my part. I tended to do a "macro" editorial suggestion (connect of essay) followed by a "micro" (commas and such)

(and yes, they typed on computer. not hand written.)

This post was edited on Sep 11, 2017 06:12 AM

My kids type their papers on the computer in high school so we just edit each paper together and print out the final draft.

Op - as far as writing independently - You have to work them up to that point though. I would say if OPs daughter is writing essays for only the first or second year then she needs help editing and proofing each one.

If, like my kids, she's been writing essays since 5th grade then she doesn't need mom to look at and make suggestions through the writing process.

My 10th grader is in college so, obviously I don't think all kids need the same level of writing help. I haven't helped him
In 3 years unless he asked me for help.

My dd 8th grade Still needs me to look at outline and one draft. It'll probably be the last year I walk her through this much. However if I See that her writing is still shake in 9th grade we will continue this process :)

This post was edited on Sep 10, 2017 09:53 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions