Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Do you make your high schooler rewrite essays?

Do you make your high schooler rewrite essays?

Dd14 wrote an assigned "persuasive" essay.

The technical parts were fine, a 95/100.

The content was meh. She had an amazing topic sentence, and one of the body paragraphs was very well written. Her conclusion and intro were good, although she should have added one more sentence to the conclusion to really wrap it up. But two of her body paragraphs...one was so so. And the other...I have no idea what she was thinking, other than trying to fulfill word count. Lol

I gave her an 81/100 for content, although I really struggled with the one paragraph that went off on a tangent about things that didn't belong in a persuasive essay.

I averaged the technical and content grades and got an 88% for her total grade.

She is fine with the 88. An 88 is ok with me too, I guess, but with just a few minor changes she could easily have an A paper.

Should I leave it? Or if this were your child and you knew they were usually a much better writer, would you make them rewrite it? In the grand scheme of things, this one small essay doesn't matter much, yet....letting an assignment this simple slide seems to set us up to keep letting shabby work slide. I'm not sure what I want to do about this yet. I plan to think about it before talking to her, but thought I'd ask opinions here too.

re: Do you make your high schooler rewrite essays?

For early in the high school life, I was asking to see 2 or 3 drafts before final grade.

My oldest found that in college she got to turn in drafts for peer and professor review for editorial helps before final grade. (English 1 and 2 in college.)

I would use the "needing helps section" on this essay to be stuff to really work on in the next essay assignment. If it was "macro stuff" (content, making the point clearer) then that is what we'd study first. If it was micro stuff (grammar, spellings), then we'd cover that a bit more.

hope that experience helps you decide what you want to do. enjoy the variety of possibilities you'll hear.

I make my high schooler fix every essay until it's good. BUT I also don't mark each one. I just read it, suggest edits, and then he fixes. My English grading is much more subjective than yours!

For this particular course each essay has its own rubric. I got my grade directly from that. Usually I am not so particular either with writing. Lol

What they turn in is what they get graded on. By they time they're high school age, they should understand that. I don't need to see drafts. We did that when they were younger.

For 9th grade and maybe 10th (or until she proves herself to be consistently doing her best/doing what is expected/understanding the expectations) I would be looking at first and second drafts. Heck, I even look at their outlines.

So for us this went like:
Kid does outline- bring to mom, (this issue of not having true supporting researched details would have been caught at the outline level)

Kid does first draft- bring to mom- mom checks content, and also proofreads for fluency, and that is sounds well-written and gives suggestions, all in pen, on the paper, no guesswork.

Kid does second draft- kid proofreads on his/her own with a checklist or brings to mom depending on maturity.

Final draft is graded.

At some point if I know I have an excellent writer I will omit whichever step seems unnecessary...for my son he was so detailed that the outline was not necessary but he needed work on wording and often had run-ons. My dd isn't detailed enough, so I look very carefully and usually have a lot to say about her outline but her actual writing flows very nicely so she doesn't usually need me to check her second draft. Just the first.

For the most part even teachers in school all the way up to tenth grade were checking at least one draft for us.

Until my kids can turn in consistently strong essays, I ask to see a draft. That could be up until anywhere between 8th and 12th grade, depending on the kid.

Once a final draft has been turned in, I don't ask them to revise it further. I did with my two oldest kids, but I now think that was overkill.

I guess neither she nor I are used to writing more than one draft. Back in school I used to write my papers, and then quick write out a "rough" draft and scribble things on it to make it look like I had written more than one draft. My teachers always told me if I didn't show my rough drafts I'd get a 0.

Emma has never had to do a rewrite before, but today we discussed all the good and bad in this one, and we are considering it a rough draft. She is rewriting it tonight. She actually has never done a formal writing class till this year due to her dysgraphia.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions