Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CLE Learn to Read vs The Good and the Beautiful K

CLE Learn to Read vs The Good and the Beautiful K

Has anyone used both CLE's Learn to Read, and the Good and the Beautiful K? I am trying to decide between these two to teach my youngest to read.

re: CLE Learn to Read vs The Good and the Beautiful K

I used CLE's LtR a long time ago. I think they had just redid it at the time. Maybe, it was about eight years ago. It is phonics and reading and starts at the very beginning with learning the sounds of the letters. There's plenty of practice with handwriting, sight words, and I remember my kids enjoying the dot to dot discrimination activities.
Dd liked coloring the pictures when her lesson was done, too, so she didn't mind that they were b&w instead of color.

I do have TG&TB K books since I have a young Ker again. He's 4yo. and I quickly realized that he needed to start with the PreK book even though he knew his letter sounds already. (Take the placement test) PreK is where the letter sounds are taught. The K book starts off with assessing your child to make sure they already know all their letter sounds prior to beginning. Lesson #1 has your child reading small words and reviewing vowels and the lessons advance quickly. TG&TB is full color while CLE is b&w except the readers are color. The G&TB also has a color reader. TG&TB also covers literature, poetry, art, etc. while CLE is only phonics and reading.

If your are starting from the very beginning, go with CLE. It will go slow and steady. We enjoyed it. If your child is already reading Bob books or can read small words already then G&B K is a lovely program full of enriching literature and art.

Thanks Morningsong! Yes, my youngest is reading cvc words and some blends. She also knows a couple digraphs like "sh" and "ch", but we haven't got very far with long vowels yet.

Sounds like you could do either.
My oldest two did CLE LtR and it was great. If you couple it with CLE LA 1st grade, it seemed like a lot at the time. I did like having the small LUs and being able to pull out a new one every couple of weeks.

G&B covers it all in the one book which is nice, so the work load seems more balanced since there is everything in the one book.
Just make sure to use the assessment placement guide.
http://www.jennyphillips.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/G-B-Course-Level-Assessment.pdf

The new G&B Book List is available September 4th and 5th for free download on Jenny's website. I suggest you grab that while you can for free.
http://www.jennyphillips.com/good-beautiful-book-list/

I would also recommend the handwriting book level 1 for writing practice to go along with TG&TB to work on motor skills or a writing pad to practice letters whichever you prefer since there is some writing in the K book, but not a lot. It's mostly reading and discussion.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions