Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Need advice about combining curriculum

Need advice about combining curriculum

We are all set to use Simply Charlotte Mason as our main history and will also be using the enrichment guide. I also plan to use some parts of AO. Much we will be combined for, some the kids will do individually. We start on Tuesday and I am beginning to get fidgety about those plans. I definitely want to stick with SCM. I am just wondering if it's better to stick with one program and give it your all or if we will benefit from combining the two. There is so much good stuff in SO too. I have been careful when planning not to overload so I don't think that will be an isdue. I guess maybe we won't know until we try. Thoughts?

re: Need advice about combining curriculum

They all get the job done. We love Charlotte Mason and Ambleside Online here, and An Old Fashioned Education and Sonlight and Beautiful Feet.

I love good books, and because of that I just look at all of those and we read many of the suggested books especially the ones that over lap. But I don't follow all the schedules on how to read a chapter a day or whatever, we just read, and my kids have been blessed to gain from every book. Some they read on their own and a few read together out loud.

So with that said, nothing wrong with what you have chosen and other books you like can be in a reading basket for them for silent reading time, they will gain, you don't need tests or quizzes or book reports on the books, you can read, and trust that they are learning, and mostly you are cultivating a love of good books.

I hope that helps!

You're not really *combining.* You're just using different materials to teach different subjects. I see no problems with that, especially since they have the same educational philosophy. :-) Most of us use different publishers/methods for different things. :-)

I would pick the components that you really enjoy and give those priority. For example, books you really don't want your kids to miss on.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions