Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Going batty- grading

Going batty- grading

Hello,

I have a 7th and 8th grader and am going batty grading and correcting all of their work. Sometimes I grade daily, sometimes weekly but either way it is ALOT of work to go through 6-7 subjects and make corrections, call attention to mistakes, grade re-does, fix grammatical and spelling errors, etc. Any advice about how can I logistically handle their work? An in and out box? If you have a system please help.

re: Going batty- grading

I just have them show me their work right when it is done and I scan it for obvious errors or compare quickly to an answer book for subjects like math.

At that age you can also have them correct their own work which actually teaches them better than you looking for errors. Then my kids have to correct the mistakes, I place the burden on them. Not on me and I don't check every little iota...when corrections are made they get an A basically (extra credit for making corrections) for the days homework so I don't fill up a grade book every day with a grade, much to tedious, I can gauge by tests how their score should be at the end of the year and can use the home work credit to raise a weak score up one grade if the student had worked diligently all year.

trying to remember those years....

Oldest and middle checked their own apologia science work. We did labs together. I never got too uptight on "lab reports" being perfect or having an A on the rubric. blush. oh well, oldest still got As in freshman and sophomore college labs as a STEM major.

Math was checked on their own each day. I graded the tests.

English: uhmm.. spot check at the end of the moment. (you know.. mom, I finished this... 5 minutes to look it over, uhm... ok, fix this... and we'll look again before supper). progency press guides: lots of that was out loud checking.

I think it was in high school when I started to do office hours specifically for going over the day's work.

spelling: they were typing stuff. had to find the homophone errors.

what publishers are you using for subjects? maybe someone has specific helps for that?

Some things I do:

- I have a hand-in box where they put everything that needs marking as soon as it's done, and when I finish marking, I put it back in their shelves (they each have a shelf for their individual books)
- I begin marking before they're done everything, as long as no one needs my help at the moment
- they mark some of their own stuff. For example, Apologia science is set up so that they do the questions, and then check their own answers at the back of the chapter.

I hope something there might be helpful.

At that age, I have my kids show me all of their day's work at the end of the day. Anything that has an answer key (daily math work, questions from the science textbook, French grammar/vocab exercises, etc.) they grade themselves and I just take 2-3 minutes to check over when they bring it to me. Informal writing assignments (summaries, journal entries, etc.) I will read quickly at this time as well. Anything that hasn't been done well gets handed back to them immediately and they fix it on the spot. Their "school day" is over once I've checked everything and they've fixed any mistakes.

Longer written assignments (English essays, history papers, etc.) usually come to me in draft form the first time, so after I send the kid off to practice piano or whatever I will take a few minutes to read the draft and jot down my first impressions. The next morning, I'll sit down with them and work through the editing process together. When the finished paper comes to me, I will usually leave it until the evening to grade. Same with tests. For each kid, it's rarely more than one paper and one test each week, which I find manageable.

Let's see, history and social studies don't really get grades really. They read, or I read aloud, we watch videos to go along with, etc. They do map work...that's about all they do written. Occasionally a research report on something to do with what they are studying, but that's maybe twice a year I have to actually grade. I usually start history every day with a quick (5 minutes or less) oral quiz of what they read the day before to make sure they read, understood, and retained it.

Pretty much same with science. Only things I grade for science is either end of section questions, labs, which I know how they do because I am usually right there with them as they do the lab. I don't do tests in science. It's one child per grade. I know they know it or if they don't and I need to review with them.

Math...She grades her own and corrects it as soon as she finishes each day. If she misses something and doesn't understand how to do it, we work it through together. She doesn't get a grade for daily work in math, just tests.

English....not a ton to grade there either. It's mostly read, discuss, write papers. So once a week or so I have an essay or a research paper or whatnot to grade. I either grade it while she does other work, or if I don't feel like it, I grade it the next morning while I drink coffee and wake up.

French...we do together every day. We review every day. She has written and oral work every day. I just grade it as she does it.

All total, grading for my 9th grader takes MAYBE 10 -15 minutes a week. Often, for long papers, I like to read them immediately once over, get my initial impression, and then actually go through and not pick and actually grade it the next morning. So if there is a long paper grading might stretch to 20 minutes total for the week. If not, sometimes it's as little as 5 minutes...and I always grade things immediately as the work is finished. I'm usually bored and want to grade it while they start on something new.

Thanks guys!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions