Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MFW RTR or MOH 2

MFW RTR or MOH 2

That is the question. I've delayed beyond delayed my selection for my youngest. He is a young 9th grader and just beginning to do some independent learning. I'm looking for a history program that doesn't consume the day and take center stage to any other subject. If I compare cost then MOH wins but if I compare a written schedule then MFW wins. This particular kiddo doesn't like skipping around from book to book which has me concerned about the MFW (we did the ancients one and had a great year - he remembers if all but didn't like the switching around). I work best with a schedule - done for me - I'm not a planner but I can be known to travel down a rabbit trail. What am I missing here in making a final decision?

re: MFW RTR or MOH 2

Not to toss more curriculum into the mix but for more independent, what about History Revealed or Notgrass? My dd (also a 9th grader but her educational level varies across subjects from 3rd grade - 6th grade) is really enjoying reading through both on her own this year -- she has many LD's -- reading has NEVER been her strong point so this is a HUGE for us.

We did MOH together several years ago and while I appreciated the scope/tone, dd was less than impressed and never picked it up to read on her own and forget the audio :P While it is a complete History curriculum I felt I needed to supplement to make it more engaging/interesting KWIM?

https://www.dianawaring.com/homeschool-history-curriculum/history-revealed-world-history-curriculum

https://history.notgrass.com/high-school/exploring-world-history/

Both are fairly cheap used. I picked up all three DW sets for under a $100 on a FB buy/sell group and a NG EWH complete set for $35 on ebay!!!

re: MFW RTR or MOH 2

I don't think mfw rtr sounds like what you want. It uses quite a few resources and some of those will "skip" around not because it's messed up, but because that's what happens when you use multiple resources --- something is ordered just enough different that it doesn't fit without being done in other orders.

I don't know what MOH is like.

so
agreeing with looking at something like notgrass exploring world history. no lesson planner needed: open to lesson X. do it. place your book mark at end of place. Tomorrow you lesson X + 1. lather rinse repeat. Includes extra readings (In Their Own Words)

and you can find the 2008 edition at good used prices and it is good enough. yes the 2014 edition was reformatted for visual appeal and all of that. so if you find that at good price use it. otherwise..

downside: you might feel the first part of course is review. that's ok just go through it a little quicker if needed. But both volumes together is a Basic World History Overview or Survey course for grade 9 or 10. not going to consume the day or week.

if you need map work, consider something like map trek's stuff and they have curriculum integration suggestions. here's the one for notgrass
https://knowledgequestmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/NotgrassWorldHistory.pdf

but what my youngest did? was to use the free map trek sampler and just did those when it made sense in notgrass.

we also added a timeline, but most people think those are too baby to do in high school (meh). but she liked doing it. I used resources I already had on hand

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions