Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Latin for high school- advise please

Latin for high school- advise please

If you were to choose a Latin program for high school foreign language. What program would you choose?

This is what I need. I know it's a tall order:

Independant
Painless as possible
Can be done daily without a huge amount of time
Not too expensive
Easily graded
Reasonable for a student that struggles with memorization

Thank you!!!

re: Latin for high school- advise please

Getting Started with Latin by William Linney. Fits most of your criteria, and has free downloadable pronunciations, too. :)

http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/curricula/reviews/latincomparison.php

Here is a comparison. I have always hoped to use Latin's Not So Tough in the future. A lot of things I've read about Latin say that even the "beginner" programs are quite advanced and could be used for high school.

Thanks to you both!
I'll have a look...

Used and loved Getting started in Latin. Afterwards, Linney has a follow up course which uses a free domain text and online lectures, which we would have used, but dd went the college route instead. But definitely try GGWL. Phenomenal, and meets all your qualifications.

I like Getting Started with Latin as well. We did some of it years ago when my daughter was about 11.

When we decided to pick Latin back up in 8th grade, we went with Visual Latin. It meets all of your criteria except the low cost one, depending on your definition of low cost.

You can get a big discount on the downloaded course from Homeschool Buyers Co-op. You can also find the first course on DVD on ebay for $60-$70. They offer Latin 1 and Latin 2.

I have also looked into Cambridge Latin and it is number one on my list if we decided we wanted to go with a course in book form rather than video form. We prefer books but the Visual Latin teacher, Dwayne really does a good job and he is funny so that helps. :-)

This post was edited on Aug 31, 2017 06:35 AM

Thanks!

I was looking into the Getting Started with Latin book, by Linney. It sounds like he is working on a follow -up book, but he is just in the beginning stages, so it will be quite a while. It will be called, Keep Going with Latin.

My daughter used Visual Latin 1 last year (10th grade) and this year she'll use Visual Latin 2. At the high school level Visual Latin is combined with a textbook called Lingua Latina. That's scheduled for you, so you don't have to worry about it.

It's a great course! The classes are on video, and the teacher is very engaging.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions