Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MUS---Looking ahead...

MUS---Looking ahead...

I have been reading old posts searching for MUS reviews. I am right on the edge of going MUS path for 4th -12th.

I have Lial's Pre-Algebra tutored by Jann in my email right now waiting for a payment for on line classes. As I look through the Pre-Algebra book I have in front of me, I just can't hit the 'enroll' button.

I also have MUS Fractions in front of me. My dss viewed the first few lessons, as well as the sample lessons on MUS web site for Pre-Algebra and Algebra. They think MUS makes so much more sense and have already had some 'ahh, yes' moments.

I just need to be reaffirmed that if we choose MUS, it will give a solid (I don't care anymore about some's opinion on what 'rigorous' is) math education, and IF my dss decide to go to college, they will have what they need, even if they go a STEM route.

Can you shed some light on this for me?

Pam

re: MUS---Looking ahead...

I know choosing a math program is important, but I really believe how natural a student is at math plays a big role.

And here is my example.

Both my teens used MUS all the way through.

My ds, who is a freshman in college this year as a STEM major, did well with MUS. He was able to self-learn all the way through Calculus. And his math scores on the ACT were good. Obviously, he just started college, but so far I feel like he was well prepared.

My dd, who is a high school junior this year, still struggles with math, even using MUS. (My 6th grader does as well.) I have needed to slow down, add in my own review, supplement with other publishers, and there are still struggles.

So, while the MUS program was/is used by all, the students' natural ability with math plays a huge role, in my humble opinion.

I don't know is that helped, or not. :)

MUS---Looking ahead...

faithandfamily---

That was exactly what I needed to hear!

Thank you!

Pam

You're welcome!
Glad it helped :)

My daughter used CLE and MUS for most of her elementary years. For pre algebra I signed her up last year for Jann in TX's Pre-Algebra class (using Lials). My daughter loved it so much! She is continuing on with Lials/Jann in TX this year, and she is really excited for class to start next week.

IF my dss decide to go to college, they will have what they need, even if they go a STEM route.

first of all, agreeing with faithandfamily's post. preach!

Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time in Amish country illinois, lived an Amish teen named Dean (**name changed from real name but story is real). Dean was a good Amish boy and his parents let him take Algebra 1. oooh.. radical decision in his community at the time. A little later he was allowed to do that thing where they run off from community and decide if you want to be Amish. He decided he wanted to learn math instead. Dean eventually made his way through community college, and found out there was even more math than algebra and he loved it and was good at it. He just didn't know how to pay for college until someone told him that info. He eventually got his PhD in math and is a college professor in math these days (complete with long braided gray pony tail). One of his passions is to help any college student who is struggling in math.

With that kind of real life story, do you really think that the publisher of a homeschool math book is going to the be determining factor in college success in STEM?

Even if you have a child who does all of MUS (or Saxon or TT or jann in tx or Mary in VA) and likes math, that child may have to step it up in college. Go to the math center (dept tutoring). Find the math prof of that college who loves to help. Get the help.

If child has STEM dream, they need to be Calculus ready for first semester in most cases if they hope to avoid summer school and graduate in the standard 8 semesters. But it is not the end of STEM major if they take Calc 1 in spring semester of freshman year and catch up in summer with Calc 2. Several of my oldest dd's friends had to do that. Hopefully they are not the ones who started the fire last night in the engineering building (drone battery caused fire. no one was hurt. extent of damage still being determined by fire dept)

anyway....
As faithandfamily mentioned, no matter what you may have to supplement and teach and help them understand up through Pre Calc and get that algebra.

Or they may end up in a longer path like "dean" did.

with all of that said, if pegasus on wtm didn't chime in with her story about MUS success with a strong math student in STEM major, you should find her in PM and ask.

Pam,

You asked about "solid". and I wanted to share a few things about it from the perspective of someone who did not use MUS with my children. Keep in mind, none of this is why I didn't pick MUS. I had picked another publisher for stuff and just went for one stop shopping. So none of this is personal to me.

Over the years of listening to chat on multiple forums, the most consistent "heads up warning" I have heard about MUS in high school has been scope and sequence of algebra 1 and 2. Those seem to cover less than other programs but by the time one has done both of those and pre calc book, it is solid coverage. Takes a little longer, maybe "slower" pace (but that can be individualized of course). The second thing in the "is it solid" has to do with how Geometry is done. I haven't followed those discussions all that much to know what the heads up is about.

maybe faithandfamily has some perspective on that to share in terms of content, sequence and whether or not it really mattered for long haul or not. It's not like the ACT asks for proofs.

Then again, there are people who say the products I used were "remedial'. Yet I have one in college who is a triple major and math is one of those majors. and yes, "dean" is one of her professors.

cbollin-
"with all of that said, if pegasus on wtm didn't chime in with her story about MUS success with a strong math student in STEM major, you should find her in PM and ask."

The name on the WTM board looked familiar. Just before I came back here, I did find her. I also PM'd her. :) Haven't heard back yet, but I am finding ease of mind about this!
Thanks for your 'story'!

We always want the best for our children, and after all these years (28!) these decisions are still hard. It is so easy to miss the joy of the day by over-thinking these things!!

Pam

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions