Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CLE Learning To Read for Grade 1 - REVIEWS PLEASE

CLE Learning To Read for Grade 1 - REVIEWS PLEASE

Anyone?

re: CLE Learning To Read for Grade 1 - REVIEWS PLEASE

I haven't used this program but you can find a very good and thorough review on YouTube by JustSewTrish. Maybe that will help :)

I was using the program with my son until just recently it has a lot of required writing. I love christian light very very much I have used the reading Language arts and math 1st 2nd and 3rd grade....and I just love it! But I really feel like learning to read should be more mastery taught. Its spiral so it goes something like lesson 6 is long 'e' sound lesson 7 is ee sound lesson 8 is ai and ay lesson 9 is ea...and each lesson has review from previous lessons....We're really not liking it my son is learning to read but its very confusing because before mastering one sound it goes to the next thing then the next. So you could be learning up to 4 vowel sets at a time. I knew it was spiral before buying but I didn't realize how quickly it moved and so we have stopped the program and now were just taking the time to master what he has learned and when he does that we will be moving on from there.

We've used LTR several times, and it's worked well for us. We did NOT find that it was "too much writing" and we did NOT find that it "moved too fast". If we needed to, we just stopped and reviewed for a day or two. Spiral means that the practice is spread out over many days, while reviewing previous concepts. Mastery is not expected until later. Yes, it's different. DO use all the components of the first grade program, and add in the Language Arts at the appropriate time. The phonics program is introduced in the LTR, reviewed in the LA, and continued in the second grade.

Thank you for the reviews. I'm looking at teaching this soon, so I needed any feedback I could get. Anyone else?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions