Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Help! Where to get vocab for Apologia physical?

re: Help! Where to get vocab for Apologia physical?

Is she taking this through an outside class?

If not, I would slow the pace way down and allow her to feel successful with the first few chapters. The pace will pick up once she's into a rhythm and has plan for how to approach each new chapter.

Is she artistic/visual at all? My older sister always made beautiful, colorful vocab cards for science and language courses. It took her *forever*, but she loved it and enjoyed those subjects the most.

If making vocab cards would be boring for her or add to her stress, I would make them for her. I inherited my sister's vocab cards and shared them around with my friends, and it was a huge time-saver.

Hi,

Thanks! Yes it's an outside class. :)

Unfortunately the problem is just where to GET the definitions. They are sort of covered in context, but not always. So, she isn't sure exactly what to write down.

She is doing well with having a system of where to put them. :)

http://www.currclick.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=71470

These are a download product, but reasonably priced.

https://www.educents.com/apologia-exploring-creation-with-physical-science-vocabulary-word-flash-cards-1st-2nd-editions-tablet.html

Those are $5 for Tablet Version. Both links are for items by Knowledge Box Central.

This post was edited on Aug 29, 2017 02:44 PM

https://www.flashcardmachine.com/apologia-physical-science1.html

These are free. The have modules listed separately, I believe. I think you can search within the website.

https://www.studystack.com/PhysicalScience

Free

I'm going to ask again....

are these words she needs defining different from the ones in the offset definitions?

using this link to sample:
http://homeschool-101.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PS-Sample-1.pdf

what kind of words did she struggle with? would it have been stuff like "mixture" "compound". that kind of thing? those are not given dictionary definition like "atom" molecule. concentration. Is that what's frustrating her... those kinds of bolded words?

is it that kind of thing? where it's stated in paragraph but not part of the offset indented words?

^^ yes exactly Crystal

ok.. trying to put myself in her shoes on this.

let's say it's something like compounds, mixtures, etc in the sample chapter listed above.

As a student, I'd want to know that it will be covered again and more in later years. and that for now, and I'd want to have a study partner or email to the teacher to ask for clarification.

elements: lots and lots of the same atom. examples include copper and aluminum. (study friend who gets it might say, you know the stuff on that chart over here with hydrogen, oxygen. that stuff)

Compound: examples include water, salt, sugar, and many others) are made up of billions and billions and billions of molecules. (of more than one type of element name)

Mixtures: examples given were wood, cereal, plastics. can be from atoms or molecules.

I don't think those terms were discussed in detail in General. and wow, just re-reading the caption in figure 1.1 made it that more confusing. They talk about "mixture" when meaning something else than "wood, cereal plastics". They are mixed together on the picture.

I would have her write down specific bolded words that make no sense and ask the teacher or a friend in class who gets it.

I totally get why she's frustrated if that example is representative of her reading of the book.

and sadly, I don't think those bolded words are in any of the resources any of us shared. (clarifying: I mean compound and mixture, not meter, etc) I don't have a good link for where to break them down more.
But more than likely, for this module, that's ok

The focus in that section is not about compounds and mixtures. I wouldn't have her define it any more than the words and examples in the paragraph.

but to help with how I'd do it and maybe she can glean ideas from this:

going to page 9 of the sample:
meter: metric unit for distance

page 12: factor label method: a way to convert units.

if there are other specific words that she doesn't get, keep a list, email the teacher and ask for help. If teacher is too busy, your daughter may need a temp tutor to help her pull out the important words that define it in context.

It is hard for some people to make a definition from context. let her know it's a skill to learn. and ask the teacher before the test about any rubric with writing down definitions on test. does it have to be verbatim?

This post was edited on Aug 29, 2017 08:39 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions