Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Help! Where to get vocab for Apologia physical?

Help! Where to get vocab for Apologia physical?

There are so many bolded
Words that are important to
Know and memorie, but they are not defined, even in the sentence context.

I guess it's because they assume
The student remembers them from General?

Where is there a good website for junior high science vocabulary?

My dd is getting super frustrated ...

:(

re: Help! Where to get vocab for Apologia physical?

brainstormin:

Would using someone's quizlet page help?
There are lots of them. Here is one that is specifically for module 1 of physical (apologia) as an example
https://quizlet.com/2176185/apologia-physical-science-module-1-the-basics-flash-cards/

and this one doesn't seem connected to a specific module, but says it's for apologia physical
https://quizlet.com/1836319/apologia-physical-science-flash-cards/

then you can google search for other chapters. Are the words showing up on that? (I sold my physical book a while back so I can't see which words are bolded but without a definition given.)

If those quizlet words aren't the ones needed for personal glossary, you could let us know which words and maybe we can get the quick definition (versus over technical) and she can write those down in a personal glossary journal page.

https://www.christianbook.com/apologia-exploring-creation-physical-science-vocabulary/cyndi-kinney/9781616253790/pd/22281DF?product_redirect=1&Ntt=22281DF&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP#CBD-PD-Description

Would this help?

The Quia and Quizlet links for each module are here:

http://www.e-learninglinks.com/science/Apologia_Physical_Science.html

Thanks guys!! She seems to have problems with Quizlet...she has some ADD issues and for soem reason gets frustrated. But I will check it out.

The cards would be great...trying not to spend money right now though...

...trying not to spend money...
quizlet isn't always good fit with her...(paraphrased)

CT ,

The flashcards are for the words that appear in the study guide at end of each module.
so......
If those are the words, she could make her own style of cards by copying the info from solutions manual in the section that has answer for study guide. She could type this stuff into a file for herself or other method that fits her learning style. I had to let my oldest do her own thing on it. with her adhd and other issues, anything that I'd suggest was seen as dumb idea anyway.

If the words she's struggling with are not those words (the ones in the study guide), then the quizlet and flash cards probably aren't the best fit tools.

Thanks!!

My dd and I are really struggling...I think we have a bit of an "Understood BEtsy" Issue. I finally have realized it and am backing off and hoping to allow her to fail or succeed in the loving environment.

BUT she gets VERY frustrated, VERY angry that I won't help her...

Obviously we homeschool so it's my job to help her but not to hold her hand like she can't do it on her own...

So anything that would be indpendent is an awesome idea. I will tel her this idea!

One of my older kids struggled in the same way…if it was not very clearly defined she stressed over what the “right” definition was. I took the study guide/test solution book and listed the vocabulary words for the module with the definition for her to copy. I then had her go back through the chapter and see if she could find those words and definitions. I did this for a few modules until she got the hang of it. You could also let your dd look at the study guide when she starts each module to see what vocabulary words she is to look for (usually question #1 on the study guide). As she progresses through the book it will become easier for her.

I also understand the clash of personalities you describe. I had the same thing with the kid I just described. She seemed to want total independence but resented it when I let her fall on her face. <sigh> We had very turbulent teen years with her. Our relationship is better now that she is married but still not all warm and fuzzy. I don’t say that to discourage you, but to let you know that you aren’t alone.

Hang in there!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions