Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Human Body/ Anatomy for elememtary

Human Body/ Anatomy for elememtary

For grades 6 and 4??? What's available?

re: Human Body/ Anatomy for elememtary

Answers in Genesis has one (God's Design for Life: The Human Body)

apologia has an elementary series: Exploring Creation Human Anatomy and Physiology.

and....

I used Apologias Anatomy for elementary for both my children in 6th grade, and we learned lots from it. They still pull that book out sometimes to look things up.

Do you think it would work for 7th or 8th.....if I decide to wait to teach Anatomy?

Yes, easily. Science, like history, is one of those subjects that to me don't have a true "grade level". I don't worry about this or that particular science until high school.

Apologia would work great for 7th or 8th. There are plenty of study questions, simple but interesting experiments, and we used the notebook they publish with it too. Some of the notebook might be a little "young" for middle schoolers, but you can pick and choose what to have them do in it if you go that route.

The Apologia anatomy is probably the most challenging book, along with the Chemistry/Physics. Those two were written at a more challenging level than the others in the series. They would definitely still work for older kids. We used it when my kids were grade 6 and 4, I think. But the older one definitely got a lot more out of it than the younger one. It is a great book. I highly recommend Apologia over God's Design.

Yes, Apologia elementary Anatomy would be perfect y even for for the 7th Grader . It's her most challenging book and if your student actually chooses to take the tests (I'm pretty sure tests are available for this book but not positive) then it would ramp up more.

The only caution I'd have for the 8th grader is not that he or she would miss out on actual learning but that in the Apologia sequence this is the year to take Physical Science, and it's also the ear he or she should learn how to use a textbook, study, take notes, fill out labs, all in preparation for high school.

So what I personally would do is teach the 7th grader with Any younger kids but put the 8th grader independent working through Apologia physical. The Notebook guides them a lot and even includes a schedule for you. You could meet with that student weekly to go over thins, do labs together and Administer tests and grade everything, especially tests and lab reports.

We have loved Physical. General is super boring and can be skipped but Physical is a great jumping off point to high school.

General is super boring and can be skipped but Physical is a great jumping off point to high school.

And one other thing in the sequence to know for planning is that the last half of the General book is 7th grade anatomy/physiology. so it can all work out :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions