Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

What if you don't do any outside activities?

re: What if you don't do any outside activities?

Yes, what Sue said was true here, too. The dc had friends at church and co-op classes who had similar interests, so they got into some activities with them. One ds got into Civil Air Patrol with a friend for years, and loved it. Another one got into a chess club and some other similar things. Another one got into rock climbing (and still does that today on weekends, in tournaments). Dd was in a lot of activities at church and with friends. This was during their teen years.

But these things did not consume their time to the point that they were rarely home. Dh taught them how to swim when they were young and how to drive later on (plus they had some written materials from the DVM and a test to take before they got their licenses). So things like that were covered at home. Music was always covered at church. One ds got into running the sound board and still does that today.

This post was edited on Aug 29, 2017 05:07 PM

re: What if you don't do any outside activities?

We live way out in the country and I have a daughter who is very social. We did Awana's for a few years but never ended up with even one friend from there. Later we joined 4-H, had fun and did things we would not have done with them. 4H has given opportunities that we never would have had and some friends too.

Our neighbors and good friends homeschool too but when the kids were young the mother didn't want the kids to interact with worldly people like us. LOL. Their kids did not do any activities and still don't. My kids like their lack of activities and they like the activities my kids do.

So, there is nothing wrong with doing activities and not doing activities, It all depends on who you are and who your kids are.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions