Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

What if you don't do any outside activities?

What if you don't do any outside activities?

It really seems to be the thing to do nowadays - get involved in tons of outside activities for kids. Especially as homeschoolers, there's the whole "socialization" stigma, so we all sign up for stuff so that next time Grandma asks, we can say, "Oh, we're in ballet and baseball and art classes at the local gallery." (Ok, I know that's not the real reason people sign up for stuff, but sometimes I wonder if that's at least part of it - so that people stop bothering us about socialization.)

So what if you just don't do any? Are those kids at some kind of disadvantage? What if you just interact with the people in your life on a daily basis, go to the grocery store, get hired by the neighbour to do odd jobs, and mostly hang out with your own family? It's practically unheard of these days, but can that be good enough?

I personally think it's fine... but I also don't know anyone who actually does it. So I am interested in hearing thoughts.

Do you think we all NEED to sign up for something for our kids to be involved in?

re: What if you don't do any outside activities?

We have never signed up for anything extra. We do just what you said. Interact with people on an every day level.

Of course it's perfectly fine not to do outside activities, i.e., other homeschoolers/groups/classes/whatnot.

I think a support group is a good thing, but a support group that is casual, not one that schedules activities every day of the week. You don't need co-ops, at least not until your children are high school age and want to do things like calculus, which might be taught in a co-op. I think many of the current homeschoolers are way too busy; they're missing out on the "home" part of homeschooling. They've exchanged one model of age-segregated instruction--campus schools--with another--co-ops.

Great question, many well seasoned home schoolers will tell you that it is harder to home school today because there are too many choices in side and outside of the home now.

We cherish not doing extras and try to enjoy the simple things.

All those out side activities which homeschool and public school alike do in excess today are really a product of our materialism just in another shape and form.

We have one big hobby that we revolve our life around - music. A bonus for us would be a field trip somewhere occasionally. we don't do any structured co-ops, classes, etc and it's fine. We just try to enjoy the holidays and family life, it's good.

We used to do activities outside the home. I regret some of them, and see the benefits they gained from others. I think the sport activities, during after school hours, had the greatest benefits. At this point though our only outside activity is church.

We are currently in a lovely church full of homeschool families who stay to talk for an hour or more after service. My kids love it because they find other homeschoolers interesting to converse with. These social interactions are very positive, and I think a healthy church body can be a rich blessing.

The rest of our life is what you mentioned - home and regular life interactions.

I don't miss the activities or the time sports take.

I also agree with the others that co-ops and activities have in general changed homeschooling from what it was when I picked it 11 years ago. I think it has overall become too busy. We did do a co-op for two years and there were some benefits to it; however, I did drop it for some of the negative impacts it had on sibling relationships and the time it took away from academics that are important to us. I do think children receive better academics and socialization at home.

We have found great benefits to dropping the outside activities, and I'm very glad we did. Home is a lovely place to raise our children.

This post was edited on Aug 25, 2017 08:18 AM

We are a part of a homeschool group, but we only participate in field trips that we find interesting or fun, maybe one or two per season. We don't do the park day every other week.

My kids only outside activity is music (someone else said this as well) They have their lessons, and luckily for us, 1 teacher teaches three of them, the other teacher teaches two of them. They play bluegrass at the senior center when we can and also get together and sing and play for the special needs community. These things we enjoy. As a matter of fact, I was going to stop volunteering for the special needs community because the kids are older and it's harder to get work done in a day, but my 13 dd cried. Really cried, in front of all them, so we continue to see them on a monthly basis.

Those activities are enough for me. If they can appreciate time spent with seniors and special needs adults (who by the way are often forgot about once they leave highschool), then I feel I have done my job as a parent.

I prefer not to be running the roads trying to keep up with everyones activities.

It depends on the family. A family which is very small, 1 or 2 kids, lacks in a wide range of stimulus, and/or has toxic components may need many outside activities. On the other hand, a family that is larger, has lots of learning opportunities, and is mentally sound does not need any outside activities.

The child in question may also determine outside activities. Some children obtain a passion that needs to be developed. If those needs cannot be met at home, then outside activities may fill the void.

There is no doubt, however, that outside activities can totally mold the family structure and health. Finding a balance can be impossible sometimes.

Overall, I would say that all children benefit when presented a wide range of social and educational opportunities. Whether those are done outside the home or inside the home probably doesn't matter much.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions