Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Funny how things change over time... preschool

re: Funny how things change over time... preschool

Bec rockz

depending on severity of disabilities, some children in preschool age benefit greatly from about 30 hours a week of ABA therapy. My guess that is a big part of the day.

I can remember the exhaustion of the thought of that with my youngest at home. I could not do that and still try to teach the other two. youngest was in preschools (non ABA based) 5 days a week, for 2.5-3 hours a day. Then when at home, even "lunch time" was therapy and learning for us. and afternoons, I'd try to have intentional play based therapy (more of RDI and/or Floortime).

Now if I had had typical developing children, well I didn't, but if. hmmm. It probably would have morphed the way Erin mentioned in the first post. I can remember when Youngest was in Kindy year of homeschool and home full time. (She was a year older than most kindy age kiddos). It definitely took on a family style/one school house learning. Sure did have a good year then with mix of one mfw program with the kindy mfw.

all of that to the one oddball on homeschool forum who wants to send supportive words to parents of your grandkids who need intense therapies in preschool years. keep on keeping on. It sucks currently and in many cases it will get better. Not in all, so stay realistic and don't play the blame and doubt mind game with yourself on it. ((hugs to the parents on that)

Yes, there are cases where it is daycare with working situations. But there are other things as well with those with developmental disabilities and delays. and I hope the family feels emotionally supported because I sure do not recall receiving that from family, church, or homeschool "christians".

This post was edited on Aug 23, 2017 08:27 AM

cbollin, do you mean that you did not feel supported about the disabilities? That's really sad. :(

sadly, ErinD, you understood what I meant. It is a sad time of memories of mean words and mean actions. I don't really want to rehash it all more than a decade later. On the other hand, it is how I got into online forum posting and eventually into a church that welcomes and wants those who has developmental and intellectual disabilities. Even sinners are welcome to eat with us. ;) it all works out. :)

Bec-rockz - Full day kindergarten and preschool have been shown to benefit certain groups of children, especially children from low-income families and children with special needs.

I sent my son with ASD to preschool every morning for three years. The third year, when he was 5/6, I hired his former preschool teacher (who had gone back to school part-time) to come to our house to work with him 8-10 hours/week in the afternoons, and she continued throughout his "first grade" year as well. This was around the time that in-home ABA therapy was becoming popular in large centers, but wasn't yet available in our area.

With my other kids (one who turned out to have ADHD, one with mildish physical disabilities, the rest typically developing), we did as much "preschool" as they wanted to do.

My oldest twins did absolutely nothing intentionally school-related until they were 5.5. At that point, they had somehow picked up so much that the kindergarten curriculum I'd bought for them was superfluous, and we jumped into Grade 1 materials. Dd20 insisted on having "school work" every day from about age 3.5. The rest fell somewhere in the middle.

Reisy, I can see how that would be true. (About all day preschool and K benefiting certain groups). In my personal example of grandsons ages 3 and 4 , I can actually see that it would DEFINITELY be true. The 4 y.o. is almost 5, and severely behind in language and cognition. He was just reevaluated for Autism (and again the doctors day it is NOT autism) and is being tested for genetic conditions such as Fragile X syndrome and microchromosomal syndrome. He is at a developmental age of 3, and verbal skills are at 18 months. He has major cognition issues too...for example, he knows I am either grandma (he says oma) OR grandpa (papa) but he doesn't know which is which. The same with his aunts. He knows one is "cee cee" and one is "emma" but he interchanges between the two and doesn't know which is which.

This is a child that at this point can not possibly be homeschooled and receive the benefits he will get with an IEP and speech, behavioral, and occupational therapy. His mother is overwhelmed with 4 little ones as it is; he is the oldest.

So I agree that all day preschool or K is a good thing for some families, especially special needs children. However, his little brother, age 3, is not developmentally delayed, and she is only sending him to preschool to to give him time around "normal" children. The 4 year old has some ticks and behavioral issues such as constantly smacking himself in the face, that his younger siblings see and copy.

However, his little brother, age 3, is not developmentally delayed, and she is only sending him to preschool to to give him time around "normal" children

This may be a shocking comment. I support that she's sending him to the school. Maybe the wording is a little odd, but I get it with wanting them to be around "normal". or typical. or less chaos, or dare to think it: more healthy than currently available at home (not saying your daughter is a bad mom, just a very stressed one).
I think there are benefits to the siblings and parents of special needs child to have outside activities and interactions. Mom gets respite, which is needed with all you have described. The 3 y.o gets respite as well and time to have fun and you know, group preschool doesn't have to be evil. That doesn't mean I think every child should be mandated to go. But I do see where professional help is needed in some lives. Nothing wrong with that.

Is 6 hours a day too long for the 3 year old? I don't know and don't care. But I do know that the mom needs consistent schedules (and if pick up time is same for both... kwim?). It just may be how it has to be even if it is a cultural shock and not what you dreamed for your grandchildren. I'm sorry if you're feeling a sense of grief for what can't happen. been there. I hope I don't come across as mean to you for sharing my perspective in the special needs realm.

The last time you mentioned this grandson's diagnoses they had ruled autism in, which is why I mentioned the ABA in this thread. With fragile X or whatever final reason is for delay, the need for intense therapy remains. but thanks for the update since info did change.

But then again, among my friends are situations where some of the children ended up living in residential treatment centers for extended periods of time. It's a lot of pain. with one of them, the kid had brain mri stuff at young age and the doctor said something like I'll prescribe therapies for kid, and Jim Beam for the parents.
Or the lady who had to send her 16 y.o across the state to residential treatment for at least 6 months. one messed up situation with the teen, and the household, and everything.

enough of that from me.

Back to the original post: in terms of original post and typical homeschooling preschool, I do think people do less with the next child and next child.. and then finally one day they run out and buy the latest preschool box for youngest because it's the youngest and mom wants to have the fun all over again.

Cbollin, no, no grieving about this. It is what it is. This little boy needs more help than Mom, alone, is able to give him. I didn't really have any dreams for any of the grandchildren...I knew they would never be homeschooled, if that's what you mean.

Sorry if I worded it wrong. I couldn't think of a politically correct way of stating that little siblings were picking up behaviors from their brother and Mom feels the 3 year old would benefit from being around OTHER children. (Better?)

He was evaluated at age 2.5 and was diagnosed with having SPD, and to come back for reevaluation when he was older. With all his ticks, and sensory issues (needing weighted blanket, terrified of water, hysterical if barefoot and his feet touch grass or sand, etc), sleeps very little, he has any signs of autism, and since we didn't know a for sure what he may have, we just call it autism to simplify it for those who don't know us. As of yesterday, it is officially NOT autism,but we still don't ha e a definitive diagnosis.

Sorry to op for going off track here.

I wasn't bothered by you using "normal". I use that word frequently to describe those on typical developmental track. probably not the best word to use when I use it so I qualified it about my own post not your post. :) I was definitely talking about my own word usage of normal. not yours.

moving on.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions