Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Funny how things change over time... preschool

Funny how things change over time... preschool

I was just reading elsewhere about people's homeschool plans for their pre-K and K kids. WOW. I have a 4yo daughter and we're doing next to nothing in comparison with these people's plans!

I mean, I remember when my oldest two were that age. I did plan more but most of it was read-alouds and projects. But I do remember the excitement of finally having school-aged kids and wanting to do all the things with them.

My current pre-schooler is my 5th, and how things have changed! She only does things if she wants to. She colours and sometimes joins us for art projects. She plays on Starfall and does R&S preschool workbooks if she wants to. But nothing planned, nothing really formal.

I actually like this way of doing it, but I'm realizing how much more relaxed I've become over the years about preschool and the early grades.

If you have multiple children, did this happen to you? Did you back off and relax a lot more with the younger ones? I'm wondering if this is a common trend.

re: Funny how things change over time... preschool

I am long past having preschoolers, but my two oldest grandsons are ages 3 and 4, and are starting preschool tomorrow. They won't be homeschooled. The oldest has a lot of learning disabilities, and needs speech therapy and special ed. However, what apalls me is that for preschool these boys will be going to school SIX HOURS A DAY! 6 hours!!! I have no idea what on earth they will be doing all that time. I thought it was crazy back in the day when public Kindergarten became all day, and now it's preschool too. My oldest went to preschool 2.5 hours a day and I missed her like crazy. I just can't imagine.

As for homeschooling, when mine were littlest, we just did like you seem to be doing. Had workbooks around, they did them most days but if they weren't in the mood to, it wasn't a big deal. I had one that was obsessed with cutting paper....give her a couples sheets of paper and a scissors and she was good for HOURS cutting it into tiny little pieces. One that loved puzzles and worked them repeatedly, forwards, backwards, upside down. We sang and learned ABCs and counting and colors and played games like candy land and hi hi cheerio.

6 hours a day for pre-school??! My nieces (a few provinces over) go to an all-day kindergarten and I thought that was a bit much. Kindergarten in my area is still half-days. Wow.

Our local pre-school offers half or full day preschool because most parents are working and need childcare. Preschool finishes by lunch then they have recess, maybe a craft, and nap. If parents are still working then they offer low cost after school child care.

There are two local Christian schools where I live. One offers K as five full days a week and the other offers K as 3 half days at the least or more if the parent wants. They do what they need to increase enrollment.

When our oldest dc were 5yo (not 4), they went to K. When our oldest went, it was half a day. When our second went, it had become all day. The schedule was like pp described -- activities in the morning, then nap and playtime after lunch. If parents wanted to pick up their kiddos at lunchtime or after lunch, they could.

Yes, that makes sense - they're doing it as childcare, not as school per se. I didn't think of that (duh).

I have a 6 year old I barely do much officially with yet!

Thank you for bringing it up!

I have a growing concern that people are doing to much to soon.

These are not little vessels that we fill with information, they need to play and pretend and experience things hands on.

The are learning all the time.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions